Kristina's Reviews > Shadow Moon

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books, paranormal, ya, arc-netgalley
Read from May 09 to 14, 2012

Originally published at Nose in a Book

I didn’t even remember that Allie had a twin. Oops. Shows you how much I disliked the last book’s fairy plotline. Oh well. I liked this one much more right off the bat. For one, Junior is back. We also don’t seem to be too immersed in Fairyland this time around. Weird things are happening again–a creepy fairy is acting as Allie’s guardian angel and the government has managed to find out information about the moonstone. Allie has to be on the lookout for Trimarks and the government in this one. She’s searching for her twin sister, plus she has all the other Purdy-related family drama to deal with. Since I assume this is the last book, things should start coming to a head soon.

Despite not being immersed in fairies, we do meet a new one, namely Jessie, a dark fae dating Kizzy’s horrible daughter, Carmel. So it looks like Allie’s on the run from the dark fae as well. The Trimarks are planning another uprising, so Allie has to move fast. I was slightly horrified by the addition of stereotypical Irish mannerisms being added to the stereotypicality of Brothers’ Hispanic characters, so excuse me if I indulge in a little written eye-rolling. Ireland is a really tired location for urban fantasy. We get it, Ireland is magical and fairies and druids and omg Celtic Wicca, but seriously, as someone whose grandfather emigrated from Ireland, I just want it to stop. Let’s go to, like, Croatia or something. Anywhere but Ireland.

Luckily, we don’t dwell on Ireland for too long. Allie spends most of this book learning about and trying to locate her twin, Anne Marie Scott. She recruits Junior and a runaway named Sammie tags along as well. I had my suspicions about Sammie right off, but she was a welcome addition to the Allie-Faye-Junior parade. When things finally start getting real, I found I really enjoyed this one. It brought Allie back to who she was in the first book, and the story was smoother as well.

So, in all, I enjoyed this series. It’s just as good as most other paranormal YA series out there, and I’ve certainly seen worse. I’d check this one out if you liked and read the first three. Marilee Brothers commented at the blog to let us know she's writing the fifth, and last, book now, so we're almost done with Allie's story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Moon.