Emma's Reviews > Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen by Paul Torday

F 50x66
May 09, 12

it was ok

I have to confess that the title had put me off buying this book for many years, it's not exactly promising really is it? Well meaning friends wore me down and convinced me that because I like Life of Pi I'd like this too so in order to clear my brain of the drivel that was Fifty Shades of Grey I got stuck into this.

I realised very early on that this was not going to be an especially great book. Whilst the technical writing on the subject of fishing and salmon is undeniably accurate (read: dull) the rest of the book is somewhat juvenile. The characterisations are universally one dimensional and generally stereotypical which lends the whole book an air of young adult fiction. The female characters are especially over-written, Mary is too ridiculous to be even slightly believable. The structure doesn't work either, a mix of emails, interviews and very strange TV transcripts, I know Stephen Fry used this to great effect in Making History but here it just doesn't work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salmon Fishing In The Yemen.