Christine's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

May 11, 15

bookshelves: young-adult, 2007, favourites, realistic-fiction, contemporary-fiction, rao-reviews, reviewed
Read from October 28 to 29, 2007, read count: 1

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is not a book to be taken lightly. As such, I wouldn’t recommend starting this when you have somewhere to be or if you are getting ready for bed. You will not want to put it down! I was so captivated by this novel that I had a hard time sleeping. And as soon as it was morning, I picked it right back up. I could not believe this was Mr. Asher’s debut; what a stunning debut indeed!

Thirteen Reasons Why will have teens and young adults engrossed and enthralled while instilling in them the important moral of the novel—that what you say and do actually has an effect on others. Hopefully this book will change lives in a positive manner. Something I believe our youth desperately needs.

I grew up bullied and felt much the same way as the book’s heroine, Hannah. I know what it’s like to harbor thoughts of harming yourself. I also know that this is something not everyone can pull through without support. As I listen to my youngest brother—who is still in high school—talk, I can clearly sense that things have gotten even worse since I was there. I hope this book lends a hand to those in Hannah’s position and shows others that the one mean line they say could end up being the last straw for another.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a book that both teens and parents should read. And if you are experiencing what Hannah endured, I strongly urge you to please find someone you trust to talk to. Or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.
1 like · Likeflag