Riju Ganguly's Reviews > Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three

Books of Blood by Clive Barker

May 09, 2012

did not like it
Read in December, 2003

In many ways, this book has come to define American horror (or at least the way Hollywood perceives it), and has influenced countless others to look at horror from a different angle. It ensured the sharpest & bloodiest break that one can imagine, with the images of horror invoked by Fontana Book of Ghost Stories, while also veering away from the increasingly contemplative style of Stephen King & Peter Straub. So, in a sense, this book was epoch-making. But as far as my opinion is concerned, it is not so good, if not outright bad. This book had compelled me to go back to M.R. James, just to reclaim my sanity. Even the "comte cruel" stories of Pan Book of Horror were not such mind-numbingly graphic & gross, compared to the stuff that has been dished out through the stories in this book. The saddest part is that none of my 3 favourite Barker stories are to be found in this collection, and they are all in Stephen Jones' anthologies. Read at your own risk, is you are a fan of slasher movies; otherwise, stay away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Books of Blood.