nick 's Reviews > Blue-Eyed Devil

Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas

Blue-Eyed Devil is quite possibly one of my favorite books of all-time. I've re-read this book countless of times and it never gets old. With every re-read, I fall a little more in love with this magical and romantic story. I decided to read Blue-Eyed Devil again a couple of weeks ago and I loved every moment of it.

The first 30% or so of the book is very hard to stomach. It tackles domestic violence in all forms and watching the protagonist, Haven, suffer through the cycle of abuse from her husband was painful. As an onlooker, I wanted to shake her shoulders and force her to leave the monster that Nick, her husband was. I don't think I realized just how emotionally hard it is to break away from that cycle until I read Haven's story. Haven was a character that I had so much love for. She may have been a rich heiress, but she had withstood so much. I felt for her and my heart would ache once she was on her journey to healing. It wasn't easy. She fell down a lot, encountered a ton of obstacles, but Haven was also willing to stand up from her failures and her desire to get better made her a strong character. Even though I have never gone through what Haven did in this book, I felt an intense connection to her, particularly to her longing for love, respect and acceptance. Throughout Blue-Eyed Devil, the character growth that Haven underwent was beautiful. I cheered for her and couldn't wait for her to become comfortable in her skin again.

On her road to recovery, she reconnects with Hardy Cates, a man she had a super swoony moment with in a wine cellar at her brother's wedding. My goodness. Hardy Cates is the kind of hero that turns you into a mushy and envious reader. He was manly, rugged and so sexy. Behind the rough exterior though, was an incredibly ambitious man with a heart of gold. He may have oozed power, but he was gentle, caring and so compassionate. The combo was deadly and utterly devastating. For me though, what really made Hardy stand out, was his treatment of Haven. The gentleness that he exhibited towards her, even when she pushed him away because of her abuse (he didn't know about her abuse for a long time), made me swoon so hard. Their romance was slow, because Haven was afraid and had a lot of healing to do, but the chemistry and sexual tension between them was palpable all throughout. They fit so well together and brought about each others' better sides which made for a beautiful relationship development.

There's no doubt that Lisa Kleypas is a phenomenal author and by now, I know that Blue-Eyed Devil, especially, is one of those rare books I will never tire of no matter how many times I've already read it. It's poignant, breathtaking and so so romantic. I can't recommend this book and this author enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue-Eyed Devil.

12/30/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/30/2013 page 200
60.0% "No matter how many times I read this book, my love for it never diminishes. <3"
12/30/2013 marked as: read