Matt's Reviews > Scaredy Mouse

Scaredy Mouse by Alan MacDonald

1205220
Sep 11, 08

bookshelves: childrens, humor
Recommended to Matt by: K' K'
Recommended for: Parents
Read in September, 2008

I have twins: identical twins. The most noticable difference between the two is one is smaller than the other one. My smaller one is my brave one; the bigger one is prone to being a 'scaredy cat'. She's uncountably and randomly afraid of all sorts of things. Somethings are understandable: dogs and electric motors. Other things are less easy to explain: helium filled balloons, for example.

When we take the girls to the library, which is to be honest several times a week, we allow the girls to each pick out a book (or two, or three, they take after their parents). Often, particularly my little one, has very good taste. You can tell a book from its cover - especially if it is a picture book. The last time we went to the library my 'little bit' picked out 'Scaredy Mouse'.

I love 'Scaredy Mouse'. It's a very fun book to read. I get to do voices. I get to go, "IT'S THE CAT! IT'S THE CAT!"

When I go, "IT'S THE CAT! IT'S THE CAT!", my 'little bit' gggggggiiiiiiiiggles and grins. :D

And that makes her Daddy smile.

But when I go, "IT'S THE CAT! IT'S THE CAT!", her bigger, stronger, more atheletic, generally more assertive sister buries her head in my shoulder or hides under a pillow, and says, "That's too scary for me."

Tee hee. They are both so cute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scaredy Mouse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Yes! You can tell a picture book by it's cover! (What a delightful review, by the way. I can picture the whole scene.) I don't know how old your daughters are, but I think the George and Martha books are exquisite literature pretending to be dumpy little kids books. Even as a Media Studies major who was supposed to be fascinated with stuff like this, I refused to watch the George and Martha TV show. The joy of the stories is in how they all play out in this simple, slow, square space, with this funny spare dialogue that's perfectly timed, just a couple lines, balanced as gingerly as Martha on her tightrope, on the opposing page. I couldn't stand the idea of seeing these characters I loved rollerblading around and talking too much. Maybe if the twins have as good a taste as you say, they've already picked up a copy, but if not I would highly recommend anything by James Marshall, and I would rank him right up there with classic authors like Mercer Meyer and Maurice Sendak (incidentally, one of his best friends.)