Kristen (Peddler of Smut)'s Reviews > For the Roses

For the Roses by Julie Garwood

5–This Book Owns My Heart–Stars

photo Attachment-1-2.gif

I can't even begin to express how much I love this story. I'm a HUGE Julie Garwood fan and I pretty much love any historical romance she writes, but this book stole my heart like few of her other stories have.

This heartwarming book is a little different than Garwood's usual fast-paced, fun-loving, and whimsical romances. It's longer, is more drawn out, and doesn't just center on the love story. For the Roses is a tale about family, friendship, and love. It features the Claybornes, four young orphaned boys who find a baby girl and band together to give her what non of them has ever had: A FAMILY. It's chock-full of richly developed and unique characters, excellent and witty dialogue, captivating and exceptional storytelling, and a swoon-worthy romance.

This book and its characters will alway hold a special place in my heart. I laughed with them, cried with them, ranted with them, and rejoiced with them. I can't think of a better gift an author can give to her readers than to create a story that will forever live in their imagination. I highly recommend this book.

Note: If you've never read this author before, I would suggest starting with one of her other books. As much as I love this story, it isn't one I would recommend for a first time Julie Garwood reader. I would recommend The Bride (my favorite), The Secret, or Ransom.
59 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For the Roses.

Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* Great review!! I loved this book too...esp all the brothers...they were so cute :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Supreet. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The brothers were what I loved about this book. I liked the romance but it was the family aspect that made this book a 5 star read.

Jessica Great review, Kristen! Glad you loved it! I enjoyed it as well! This was my first and only JG book. I need to get another one of her books and read it. :)

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover ❤️ & KA Addict wonderful review Kristen!!!

Kathleen I loved her four brothers! Loved many of the scenes with the family in Bluebell, but I didn't like the scenes with her old schoolmate. Seemed pointless and I didn't like her. Also, in England, I was disappointed in how things played out between Harrison and Maryrose. Loved the ending chapters, planning his defense case with the family, and in the courtroom. Also liked the scenes with the scalped lady.

Did you read the four novellas, where each brother gets hitched?

message 6: by Yomi Milanesa (new)

Yomi Milanesa Lovely review Kristen :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Terrific review Kristen! I enjoyed this one too <3

message 8: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Aug 27, 2014 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jessica wrote: "Great review, Kristen! Glad you loved it! I enjoyed it as well! This was my first and only JG book. I need to get another one of her books and read it. :)"

Thank you, Jessica. I loved this book but I would suggest a different one for a first time Garwood reader. My favorite books of hers are The Bride The Secret and Ransom. When you're in the mood for a fun historical romance, give one of those a read. The bride is my all-time favorite Garwood book. :D

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict wrote: "wonderful review Kristen!!!"

Thank you, Dorsey! xoxo

message 10: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Fantastic review, Kristen! <3

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kathleen wrote: "I loved her four brothers! Loved many of the scenes with the family in Bluebell, but I didn't like the scenes with her old schoolmate. Seemed pointless and I didn't like her. Also, in England, I wa..."

I agree with your comments, Kathleen. The brothers and their relationship as a family is what I loved about this book. I was a bit bored during the England part but loved the ending. The family aspect of this book stole my heart to such a degree that I had to give it 5 stars even with the parts that dragged a little. :)

I'm listening to the brothers book right now and it's okay. I'm going with a 3 star rating so far. I've listened to Travis's and Douglas's stories and I'm in the middle of Adam's right now. I'm excited for Cole's book. He's my favorite bother. Well, I adore Adam, too. :D

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Yomi Milanesa wrote: "Lovely review Kristen :)"

Thank you so much, Yomi. xoxo

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Terrific review Kristen! I enjoyed this one too <3"

Thank you, Feifei. It's not my favorite Garwood book, that would be The Bride, but I loved the family aspect of this story so much. I really needed a book like this when I read it. ♥

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Terrific review Kristen! I enjoyed this one too

Same! I liked but didn't fully love this one.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lisa wrote: "Fantastic review, Kristen! <3"

Thank you so much, sweetheart. ♥

message 16: by Jessica (last edited Aug 27, 2014 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Great review, Kristen! Glad you loved it! I enjoyed it as well! This was my first and only JG book. I need to get another one of her books and read it. :)"

Thank you, Jessica. I lo..."

Thank you for the recommendations, Kristen! :) I'll check them out. I already have The Bride on my Kindle. I'll have to read it soon :D

message 17: by Didi (new)

Didi Lovely review Kristen! <3

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ wonderful review Kristen!

Kathleen Always fun to compare notes, Kristen. I liked the four novels, but agree they're not awesome. On the up side, you'll get to see more of Harrison and Mary Rose, and the brothers.

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ What a lovely review Kristen! = D How are things? [hugs]

message 22: by Mei (new)

Mei Great review, Kristen! I love how JG writes! :)

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen :))

Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ Amazing review Kristen! xx

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah What year is the book set in?

Deniz lovely review!I have read almost every Garwood romances and The bride is my all-time favorite Garwood book too:)

message 27: by Ingela (new)

Ingela Lovely review, Kristen. I know I should read much more JG (..and HR). =)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, hon! Glad you enjoyed it! xoxox

Spuffed I'm going to check this one out. Thanks!

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Fab review Kristen...I've never even heard of her! And LOVE your sparkling Rose...how do you do that?!

message 31: by Kristin (KC) (new) - added it

Kristin (KC) I can't think of a better gift an author can give to her readers than to create a story that will forever live in their imagination.
So eloquently said! What a beautiful review, Kristen! Just added this one. I haven't tried this author yet, but hers will be my next historical romance. So glad you loved :) xo

message 32: by One-Click (new) - added it

One-Click Thanks Kristin, I've really started to love historical fiction and this looks like a great read.

message 33: by Penelope (new)

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ Oh, I absolutely loved this book! Wonderful review, Kristen! Definitely agree with you on all your points. :D

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jessica wrote: "Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Great review, Kristen! Glad you loved it! I enjoyed it as well! This was my first and only JG book. I need to get another one of her books and read..."

I hope you enjoy it, Jessica. xo

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Didi wrote: "Lovely review Kristen! <3"

Thank you, Didi. ♥

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) ✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "wonderful review Kristen!"

Thank you sweetie. xoxo

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Patty❤️❤️Belongs To❤️Kellan Kyle❤️AND❤️Jesse Ward❤️❤️ wrote: "BEAUTIFUL Review, Doll!!
You sold me on it!
Just one clicked!!! ;)
xoxoxo"

Aww! Thanks hon. If you've never read Julie Garwood before I would suggest reading one of her other books first. The Bride is a personal favorite. Also The Secret and Ransom are fabulous. After reading a few of her other books, then read this one. I think you'll get a better taste of Garwood's work if you do that. ♥♥♥

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kathleen wrote: "Always fun to compare notes, Kristen. I liked the four novels, but agree they're not awesome. On the up side, you'll get to see more of Harrison and Mary Rose, and the brothers."

I agree completely, Kathleen. That's what I love about reading reviews and chatting about books. I love getting other peoples opinions about a book. Sometime it even helps give insight into a book I struggled with. xoxo

message 39: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Aug 28, 2014 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "What a lovely review Kristen! = D How are things? [hugs]"

Thank you, Sue! Things are going good. My daughter is happy and doing good. She did ask if I would send her nail clipper and a file. LOL. I told her it would cost more to send the items than for her to buy them herself. I basically said, "WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD, SWEETIE. IT SUCKS TO BE A GROWN UP." Lol.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Mei wrote: "Great review, Kristen! I love how JG writes! :)"

Thank you, Mei. I love the ways she writes, too. When I need a feel good book, I always read one of hers. ♥

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jen wrote: ":))"

♥♥♥

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Amazing review Kristen! xx"

Thank you, Rachel. xoxo

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Sarah wrote: "What year is the book set in?"

It takes place in the late 1800's. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Deniz wrote: "lovely review!I have read almost every Garwood romances and The bride is my all-time favorite Garwood book too:)"

Thank you, Deniz. I love The Bride. I read it at least once a year. Glad it's you favorite, too! ♥

message 45: by Straylights (new) - added it

Straylights Excellent review! So many books I want to read now because of your reviews :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Ingela wrote: "Lovely review, Kristen. I know I should read much more JG (..and HR). =)"

Thank hon! Garwood is one of my favorite historical romance authors. I love to read her because I know that I will always get a feel-good romance that makes me laugh. ♥♥♥

I need to read more HR, too. I forget how good they are until I read one. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Wonderful review, hon! Glad you enjoyed it! xoxox"

Thank you, Baba! I very much enjoyed it. ♥

message 48: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Aug 28, 2014 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Spuffed wrote: "I'm going to check this one out. Thanks!"

You're welcome. If you've never read a Garwood book before, I would suggest reading The Bride, The Secret, or Ransom before starting this one. Those books will give you a better feel of Julie Gawood's writing style. ♥

message 49: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Aug 28, 2014 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wendy wrote: "Fab review Kristen...I've never even heard of her! And LOVE your sparkling Rose...how do you do that?!"

Thank you, Wendy. I love Julie Garwood. She also write contemporary romances but she excels at historical romance. She write feel-good, humorous books that are just fun to read. Isn't the rose beautiful? I didn't make it, I found it on my clippish app. I wish I knew how to make gifs like this sparkling rose though. ♥

message 50: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Aug 28, 2014 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kristin (KC) wrote: "

So eloquently said! What a beautiful review, Kristen! Just..."

Thank you so much my sweet friend. You will love Julie Garwood! I always go to her for feel-good, funny, and fun to read historical romances. Don't read this book first though. I loved it but it's not one I would recommend to a first time Garwood reader. Start with The Bride (my favorite), The Secret, or Ransom. You should read The Secret before Ransom though. ♥♥♥

« previous 1