mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Sweet Savage Love

Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers

I bought this book back in 2004 based on a recommendation on a Yahoo book group I was on. Can't remember what specifically they were recommending it for, but I think "Outlander" was brought up in the same conversation.

The books are similar in that they're historical, they're epic, and they don't just show the positive side of history.

This is one of those books that grows on you as you read it. And, by the end, I was hooked. I see there are 5 more books in the series. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be in print anymore. Looks like they were last re-issued around 2000, when the 6th book was first published. This book was originally published in 1973. Looks like I need to haunt some used book stores.

This feels like a "top of the line" bodice ripper. It has some of the feel of the bodice rippers I read as a teenager, but it has more depth to it. The characters are more three dimensional. The journey they face is longer and more arduous. (At least that's what it feels like. I haven't picked up a traditional bodice ripper in ages.)

Shockingly, I enjoyed a book without the least hint of sf/fantasy/paranormal quality. That's pretty rare (for me) these days. Straightforward contemporary and historical novels (romance or not) don't typically hold my interest.

Steve and Ginnie clearly have the love/hate thing going on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Savage Love.

05/08/2011 "This was a book recommended to me from a Yahoo list ages ago. I just wish I remembered in what context it was recommended."
05/11/2011 "Turns out it's the first in a 6 book series. A series that is no longer in print. Fuckers. It was originally written in the 1970's, but I know I didn't buy the first book that long ago. Maybe 5 years."