Liviu's Reviews > The Memorist

The Memorist by M.J. Rose

Jul 23, 14

bookshelves: 2008_release_read, mainstream
Read in September, 2008

Superior thriller about a young woman Meer Logan who has flashes of her past lives though she denies they are such despite her father Jeremy and her mentor Malachai's insistence - they are both famous members of the Memorist society dedicated to the idea of reincarnation and remembering past lives -

Meer founds herself connected to a magical flute that supposedly was discovered in India around 1810 by one of the founders of the society and given to Beethoven to decipher its mysterious music that may be a key to unearthing past memories of earlier lives.

In a different thread journalist David Yalom veteran of covering numerous terrorist and underground organizations is on a path of revenge after his family has been blown away due to one of his articles.

Jeremy Logan, the "Indiana Jones" of Jewish artifacts found a previously unknown posthumous Beethoven letter in Vienna that may lead to the flute and the music, but the stunning fact is that the letter was discovered in an old gaming box that Meer used to draw as a child, so Meer comes from NYC where she is Malachai's assistant to see for herself and maybe acknowledge that her visions are not false memories but true past lives memories. But various people have their agenda and mayhem ensues, while a famous Beethoven concert attended by many VIP's and which is the target of David's revenge beckons.

I liked the book quite a lot and I intend to read the next installment of the loose series that started with The Reincarnationist. Luckily for some reason The Memorist was the first book I read in the series, since after it I went to read the first one and I was disappointed since that one is a banal thriller and I would not have followed the series had I tried that first.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memorist.