mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Shifting Love

Shifting Love by Constance O'Day-Flannery

I haven't read anything by Constance O'Day-Flannery since high school, but I've found that her books still have the same feel. They end with a sense that "all is right with the world".

My favorite of her time travel romances was This Time Forever from 1990. At the end of the book she included my now favorite poem "Desiderata" from Max Ehrmann. The portion of the poem she highlighted is still my favorite:

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

When I finished that book I remember holding it to my chest consumed by how things all worked out. (Hey, I was a teenager.) I won't say I clung to this book quite that way, but it did still have a hint of that feeling. The perfect combination of fate versus free will.

I labeled this a paranormal romance containing shifters, but that really doesn't give the right impression. The shifter component wasn't as significant as the whole idea of steering destiny versus free will.

I should just back up and tell you the characters (primary and secondary) are quirky, flawed, and extremely appealing, and the romance was perfect in its imperfection. *g*

If I was on LJ, this review would be getting the stream-of-consciousness tag. I jumped all around the place, but I hope some of that made sense. *g*

Recommended for those who like a hint of fantasy with their romance.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shifting Love.

01/30/2011 "Not your average "shifter" book. That part is almost an afterthought."