Deirdre's Reviews > Notes from Underground

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: e-books, philosophy
Read from May 08 to June 12, 2012

Philosophical rants = 5 stars, stories about narrator being a jerk (as a younger man) = 2 stars. It balances out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from Underground.

Quotes Deirdre Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I could not become anything; neither good nor bad; neither a scoundrel nor an honest man; neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything, that only a fool can become something.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Suppose, gentleman, that man is not stupid.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Oh, gentlemen, perhaps I really regard myself as an intelligent man only because throughout my entire life I've never been able to start or finish anything. Granted, granted I'm a babbler, a harmless, irksome babbler, as we all are. But what's to be done if the sole and express purpose of every intelligent man is babble--that is, a deliberate pouring from empty into void.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“In the first place I spent most of my time at home, reading. I tried to stifle all that was continually seething within me by means of external impressions. And the only external means I had was reading. Reading, of course, was a great help--exciting me, giving me pleasure and pain. But at times it bored me fearfully. One longed for movement in spite of everything, and I plunged all at once into dark, underground, loathsome vice of the pettiest kind. My wretched passions were acute, smarting, from my continual, sickly irritability I had hysterical impulses, with tears and convulsions. I had no resource except reading, that is, there was nothing in my surroundings which I could respect and which attracted me. I was overwhelmed with depression, too; I had an hysterical craving for incongruity and for contrast, and so I took to vice. I have not said all this to justify myself .... But, no! I am lying. I did want to justify myself. I make that little observation for my own benefit, gentlemen. I don't want to lie. I vowed to myself I would not.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra Good plan.