Easily Mused's Reviews > Corona

Corona by M.J. Heiser

May 08, 12

Read in August, 2011

Corona: Special Edition is a unique, deeply imaginative story that fuses together the author’s brilliant fairytale land with likable, modern day characters. I found myself comparing the intricate storyline and deeply complex characters to Neil Gaiman’s or J.R.R.Tolkien’s. It is obvious that Heiser spent a good deal of time on character development—they feel authentic, as if they were pulled straight from the world around her. Rose, one of the story’s heroines, has her own insecurities and flaws to deal with. But she is likable; she is the embodiment of a little sister, or a best friend. Tom too suffers from his own insecurities. It is those insecurities that were most endearing. Even Father Rey, resident bad guy in this book, garnered some sympathy from me—but not for long. I gave high scores for Characterization and Originality.

With the length of the novel and the complexity of the story, the Plot/Pacing were also spot on. MJ Heiser knows how to tell a story, and she knows how to keep you moving along at the right pace. There were only a few minor issues with formatting , but nothing that retracted from the reading experience. The language was rich, the storyline was intricately woven, and I came away feeling satisfied that I’d read something of substance.

Corona is not a simple read. It is a not a book you will speed through in a day. Heiser has put work into building this world, and she didn’t do it lightly. She seems to be seeking a more involved audience, in much the same way that some of those classic novelists of yesteryear did.

(Originally posted at EasilyMused.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corona.