Shari's Reviews > Lichgates

Lichgates by S.M. Boyce

May 08, 12

bookshelves: arc-reading-challenge-2012, ebook-challenge-2012, read-in-2012, reviewed, ya-reading-challenge-2012
Read in March, 2012

S.M. Boyce has done an great job of bringing a fantasy world alive. Her descriptions of Ourea are beautiful and detailed without being verbose. Characters Kara and Braeden are well developed, and watching them grow as individuals was enjoyable. As with the few other fantasies that I've read there are lots of hidden messages and lessons throughout the story that could be applied to not only the characters but to the readers as well.

Unfortunately, Lichgates won't be making it to my favorites shelf. I have finally come to the realization that the fantasy genre in general is not for me. While I didn't love Lichgates I have no complaints about Boyce's writing style or plot. Lichgates is by no means a badly written book, and I would recommend it to fantasy readers. I truly believe that the reason Lichgates fell flat for me is my own lack of love for the fantasy genre. However, if you find yourself drawn to reading about warring nations, betrayal, crazy beasts, and magic then I think you'll find yourself entranced in S.M. Boyce's Lichgates.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lichgates.