Amber's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: must-reads-for-homeschool-parents, read-alouds-for-all-ages
Read from June 01 to 27, 2013

Another reviewer said it best:
"Oh, Rasky!!!!! You idiot." At least that is how I feel after Book 1.
I'm asking myself, "Why is the author jumping from bummer to bummer in quick succession?" There must be a reason. Suppose I'll find out in the next book if I don't hurt myself or someone else first. I love the way the book drags me in. I hate the way the book drags me in. Every time I read Dostoyevsky, I have the same drug-like reaction. I think I am a Russian novels addict. Dare I hope for light at the end of the psychedelic tunnel?
End of the book: there should not be Epilogues. Russian novels are best without a clear resolution. It is the brilliance of the Russian novelist to bring you to the brink of existence and leave you to totter.
Don't miss this exquisite opportunity!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

06/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/01/2013 "Chapter 4"
06/03/2013 "Finished Book 1. Synopsis: People are rotten, so there is no point trying to help."
06/27/2013 marked as: read

Amber Finished the book. As usual, I love and hate Russian novels. The unassuming, but compelling story-telling is phenomenal; however, the intense examination of the inner workings of the human mind are undeniably poignant! One must read these novels and let the depth of the depravity of man without God blast you in the gut. How much more amazing is the sacrificial work of Christ on the cross when viewed from the fatalistic, apathetic attitude of being incapable of rising above and beyond fate, the Grey-Eyed Athena.