Andrea at Reading Lark's Reviews > So Close to You

So Close to You by Rachel Carter

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: 4-stars, arc, fantasy, read-in-2012, science-fiction, time-travel, young-adult
Read in July, 2012

Review Posted on Reading Lark 7/18/12: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2012/...

I was a little nervous that this novel might be like Tempest by Julie Cross when I saw it was about time travel. While I enjoyed Tempest, I wasn't in the mood for another book along those same lines right now. So Close To You does have time travel elements, but the plot and time travel are very different from other books I have read. This book reminded me of elements that I loved from "Back to the Future". As in "Back to the Future", the main character goes back into the past accidentally and ends up having the chance to interact with family members. I really liked the family connection that runs throughout this story. I won't say a ton about the actual plot in this review because I don't want to spoil anyone. You will enjoy this one if you're interested in time travel or history. There is also enough romance to keep things intriguing.

Another element I loved about this book was the vivid descriptions. The setting and characters are easy to visualize in spite of my limited knowledge of New York terrain. There is a strong sense of place and time in this one - which I love. The town of Montauk plays an important role. It is described as being a small, close knit town located near the sea, "a town so far out on the tip of Long Island it feels as though [they are] more connected to the water than the land" (pg. 7). I was curious to see if Montauk was a real place and I was surprised to find out it actually exists. I may have a new literary place to visit on my list; there is so much history and natural beauty to explore. I love when books can introduce me to places I never knew existed.

Lurking behind the picture perfect, small town facade is a secret in Montauk. Some believe its "the East Coast Area 51" (pg. 11) while others insist that something more sinister than aliens lurks in the woods. Many citizens of the town believe that all the stories are just that - tales invented to entertain - nothing more. Lydia Bentley can't seem to shake off the legends surrounding The Montauk Project. Her great grandfather went missing in 1944 and her grandfather, Peter, is convinced that the disappearance is tied to the Project. Lydia loves her grandfather so she humors him and helps scour the national park looking for clues. She will soon find that many stories - no matter how crazy - hold kernels of truth.

So Close To You isn't a book I would normally pick up. I'm not a huge fan of science fiction and the concept of time travel doesn't always hold my interest. Despite my reservations, I ended up really enjoying this book. I loved Lydia and was awed by her bravery and devotion to her family. The supporting cast of characters are memorable as well; I grew particularly attached to Wes, Mary, and Lucas. Rachel Carter has convinced me that not all Science Fiction is dull and boring; So Close To You is complete with healthy doses of history, romance, friendship, and heart pounding anxiety. The ending of this one left me reeling and craving the next book.

One final thought - Isn't that cover fabulous?

One Last Gripe: There were some moments when the time travel was being explained that were a bit tedious

My Favorite Thing About The Book: The time period Lydia visits

First Sentence: The bonfire in the clearing spits out flames and smoke.

Favorite Character: Lydia, but Mary is a close second

Least Favorite Character: Dr. Faust

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Close to You.