Sarah's Reviews > The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots

The Wild Queen by Carolyn Meyer

Mar 30, 13

I've long been a fan of Carolyn Meyer, having read all her "Young Royals" novels, and I must say this is one of her best. "The Wild Queen" is a magnificent, epic story based on the harrowing, and in many ways mysterious, reign of 16th-century Scottish queen, Mary Stuart. Although the story spans some forty-five years, it is a fast-paced, enjoyable read, rich in historical detail, vivid descriptions, and well-drawn characterizations.

After a pampered childhood at the French court, in preparation for her marriage to the dauphin, Mary returns to Scotland to claim her throne. Soon her life spins out of control amid a raging vortex of deceit, betrayal, and foul play as she watches her country being literally "torn apart by warring factions." Mary's often poor judgment, and tendency to fall in love with treacherous men and place her trust in false friends, only exacerbates the mayhem. As she herself admits toward the end of the novel, "I have given my trust too easily to the wrong people."

Clearly well-researced, and beautifully written, "The Wild Queen" is indeed wildly entertaining and at the same time highly educational. I would recommend this book to all fans of good historical fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Queen.