Maggie's Reviews > Not Even There

Not Even There by J. Scott Sharp

May 08, 12

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, short-story
Read from May 08 to 09, 2012

"Betrayal is sneaky. Sometimes, a person doesn't know they've deceived someone until it's too late, or maybe they do and don’t want to admit to it. If a person betrays someone in front of their face, it's a safe bet that they never gave a shit any way. At least that’s what I thought."

In this short story by Sharp, sixteen year old Roger plays a dual role in a tragic incident of betrayal that is based on an age old triangle, two men who love the same woman. I can still remember all the days of uncertainty that made up the high school years. Every win is the highest peak. Every loss is the most devastating thing possible. Every reaction to it all will consume your entire being. Moderation isn't even in the vocabulary.

Sharp executes this tragic piece with precision and heart as he takes you back to the pains of high school and young love. I'm not sure whose part of the story hit harder, Roger's or David's. The end even has a "wait, did I just read that right" twist that you won't see coming.

I wouldn't recommend this for a young teen, but college age and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Even There.