Misha's Reviews > Are You My Mother?

Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel

May 09, 12

bookshelves: doorway-character, doorway-story, family, comics, mother-daughter, read-2012, memoir, lgbtq
Read from May 08 to 09, 2012

No, this isn't "Fun Home." Being that this memoir is about Bechdel's relationship with her very much alive mother, it takes you in some very different places. There are still lingering questions, as there are ways in which both of her parents elude some aspect of knowing or understanding (or do all parents, for that matter?).

Because I am personally exploring some of the same issues Bechdel delves into here--like the psychological underpinnings to what lies beneath our adult fears, insecurities and hopes--I found this memoir profound and moving. Much like "The Drama of the Gifted Child," which this book references often, "Are You My Mother?" explores the complexity of our emotions and conceptions of ourselves, how we carry the hurt or lack of love of our childhoods with us (if unexamined/unexplored and maybe even then) and just the messy, complex nature of human lives. Bechdel manages, once again, to make the personal universal and the particular sublime.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You My Mother?.