Shoshana's Reviews > Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

F 50x66
May 08, 12

bookshelves: adult, nonfiction
Read in May, 2012

This is a cool one, even though it is basically about all of the horrible things that could happen to me to completely ruin my relationship with music and/or my career. Actually, I think Oliver Sacks things the book is essentially a love letter to music, in a neurologist nonfiction kind of way. And you know, I buy that too.

I feel like pretty much anyone who is curious about how people function and likes reading anecdotes both funny, miraculous, and sad (yes, I know that's more than two kinds of anecdotes) would like this book. I've been recommending it left and right. In fact, it's the kind of book I was lamenting about being few and far between back in (I think) my review of What Language Is: It's the book that assumes that I have some education, some analytic thinking skills, and some background on the subject (and I do, although I've forgotten it mostly, but the bits that I didn't understand or didn't remember didn't hamper my enjoyment) but explains enough - and uses non-jargony-enough English - that it is clear and engaging throughout.

Highly recommended!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Musicophilia.