Moderatrix Lori 's Reviews > Dark Prince

Dark Prince by Christine Feehan

Jan 30, 09

bookshelves: romance-paranormal, read-2009, print-books
Read in January, 2009

I had high hopes for this book since it continually shows up on people's lists of favorite series. I really struggled with it though. I found the writing cheesy and repetitive. How many times can you use the word "velvet" in one book? I didn't care much for the heroine either. I don't like it when women are small and frail and fragile and breakable and all of those other terms used to describe a petite female. Give me Anita Blake or Merry Gentry...small women who can kick ass and aren't treated like china dolls. She was also whiny and was either intentionally pissing off the hero by asserting her independence...at the most inappropriate and dangerous times...or she was weak and mewling when she needed to be strong. I also couldn't stand the very annoying pattern of her getting into trouble and him never getting there in time to save her, even though he repeatedly promised to keep her safe and not let anything or anyone hurt her. Yea, that worked out real well.

I'm planning on reading the second book in the series next month as part of a reading challenge and I really hope I like that one better. I still really want to like this series so I'll keep trying.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Prince.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm in the minority, but I have always felt this is the worst book in this series. I can't tell you how many times I gave up and wanted to throw it against the wall. She writes so FAT!!! I would have deleted 100 pages of useless description from it to speed up the pace of the plot among other things. But my friend who made me read this series encouraged me not to give up on it and I struggled through. And I'm glad I did because the Prince is very important to the series so it is good to know who he is. And Raven gets much more tolerable in the other books. Yeah, she finally grows up and quits whining!!!

Anyway, I'm glad I stuck with it, because the books get much better. Although Feehan is no Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark-Hunters). Kenyon is an awesome, lean writer. Feehan remains a fat writer. So to read and enjoy her yummy Carpathians I had to develop a "Feehan style for reading" her series. I started skimming when I got to the fat descriptive scenes and it made the series much more enjoyable for me. Try that, and I think you will like it better.

Have you read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters yet? They are AWESOME!

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

message 2: by Denni (new)

Denni LOL, I gave up on Feehan after about 4 books. After Diana Palmer, she's my favorite example of cookie-cutter writing. And there are sooooo many other good authors to choose from!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura *LOL* The fourth one, Dark Magic, about Gregori is my fav of the series. Did you get to that one?

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

message 4: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris H. I'm in the same boat as you Mod_Lori. I couldn't even finish Dark Prince. I got about half way through and got tired of struggling my way through it.