Shoshana's Reviews > Sorta Like a Rock Star

F_50x66
May 08, 12

bookshelves: crossover, ya, realistic
Read in May, 2012

Ugh, it totally made me cry a bunch - in the best way. I LOVE AMBER SO MUCH. Honestly, there isn't a single character in this book that I don't like, and that's because none of them are antagonists. All of them are people just trying to do their best; chance and people's past choices and flaws and all those dumb things that life brings are the antagonists, and that's what makes the book so real and strike home so hard.

Despite her religious commitment - which even though it is explicit throughout the book never bothered me - I identify with Amber a lot. Her best traits, and her essential outlook on life (minus the religion) are what I think are also my best traits and essential outlook on life. Maybe that's why her struggles were so meaningful to me, even though I've never gone through anything like she has and hope never to ever.

Or maybe it's just because this book is so darn well written, and Amber's voice is so clear, and the supporting cast is so wonderful. Also, did I mentioned that it's funny too, and it made me smile whenever I wasn't crying?

Sorta Like a Rock Star is for everyone.

P.S. Also it contains the best (and most heartbreaking) haikus I have ever read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorta Like a Rock Star.