Shoshana's Reviews > Okay for Now

F 50x66
May 08, 2012

bookshelves: middle-grade, realistic
Read in May, 2012

I loved The Wednesday Wars and I loved Okay for Now. I love Doug Swieteck and his character arc and the character arcs of his brothers. It's interesting, because it feels more realistic and less hysterical than The Wednesday Wars (I mean hysterical in a good way, about TWW), but then the plot twists I think are actually less realistic and ultimately more exaggerated, even the Audobon thing running through it. Not likely, maybe I'll put it that way.

Which for the most part all adds to rather than detracts from the book (I love to hate everyone at his school, for example - and I'm ok with it because Schmidt already showed that he can be kind to teachers and principals in TWW). The heart of the book is true even when the events are unbelievable. Minus a star though for unrealistic portrayal of Broadway (sorry, I can't help it, this is more or less my field of expertise), for a completely confusing ending (not exactly in a good way), for a tremendously unlikely familial resolution, and for a confusing choice about when to start using Doug's brother's name. But even though that sounds like a lot of things, it's minus only the one star, because, regardless, I totally loved this book, and I'm glad it won the Children's Choice Book Award because it totally deserved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.