Wendy's Reviews > A Black Hole Is Not a Hole

A Black Hole Is Not a Hole by Carolyn Cinami Decristofano

May 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-award-possibilities
Read in May, 2012

Strictly on Newbery terms, this book didn't do anything for me. No real narrative sweep, and I thought the phrasing verged on hokey. I'm sure this is the best book on black holes out there for kids, but it didn't strike me as a literary standout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Black Hole Is Not a Hole.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melody (new)

Melody When I was a kid reading about black holes, I went right to the adult books. I dunno that kids looking to learn about black holes are going to be looking in the MG side of the library.

Wendy Oh, I think you're dead wrong; black holes make a great high interest/low reading level topic. There're lots of kids who will be interested who aren't ready for Carl Sagan or whoever, if they ever will be. Not to mention the browsers. I shopped on both sides of the library when I was doing my youthful explorations into frogs and snakes and trees and flowers... okay, and ESP and 1940s movie stars. (Actually, I probably had to get all my 1940s movie stars books from the adult section, back then; happily, this would no longer be the case.)

message 3: by Melody (new)

Melody Yeah, I'm not taking into consideration how terribly long ago my initial science reading was. There was Asimov and ONLY Asimov for me.