Katherine's Reviews > Slated

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic, science-fiction-science-experiment
Read from June 03 to 07, 2012

RATING: 3.5 Out Of 5

Such an intriguing, interesting and might I add clever, storyline that absorbed me into the story from the first page. Kyla has been slated, the latest government form of ‘control’. It wipes the mind of those who they deem 'need' to be wiped. Kyla has been told that only those who are terrorists are slated, it gives them a ‘second chance’ at life. But something is different with Kyla, she remembers little things of her past - which she shouldn't be able to. She’s been told she is right handed, so how is it, that she feels she is left handed? How is she different from all the others that have been slated? And why do people keep disappearing once? What is going on?

Yep just reading that would suck me in, nothing is more interesting than government conspiracies. That’s for sure. What made this book different were the characters were original and relatable – hold up... Say what? Characters in a novel were relatable?? Who would have thought?? I feel like authors these days don’t know how to write about characters without making them sound like they are supermodels, with their perfect looks and lack of original personality – it’s almost like they don’t know what is relatable anymore. Plus the romance is always from the first look between the two characters, but not with this novel. The two characters were friends - then best friends - then feelings progressed - that’s how it should be. It’s real.

This debut novel by Terry was original and witty, with the inclusion of the ‘levo;’ a device that measures emotions being a very unique and unusual concept to participate into this novel. Terry made it work though. I feel the only thing that I can say negative wise is that the book was strung out for too long, whilst I enjoyed not being given too much information too quickly, and getting it progressingly – it does intrigue readers and makes you hungry to read more. I feel Terry did string the story on for a bit too long and the novel could have been shorter. As I felt this novel was a bit too long, and some parts a bit too repetitive or just there to length out the story. I definitely liked how the novel ended, very clever. Faviourite character besides from Kyla, was Jazz - he was such an enjoyable and funny character, you couldn't help but like him :)

I did enjoy this novel, and it is a great debut novel and fantastic start to this new serious. I just couldn’t give it 4 starts, I don’t know why. It definitely was better than average (hence why it got more than 3 starts). Maybe if I have some time away to think over the novel some more I might turn around and give it 4 stars, but if not maybe the next one will earn that rating, I really do hope so and can't wait to see what happens to Kyla in the next novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slated.

06/04/2012 page 101