JennRenee's Reviews > Silent Song

Silent Song by Ron C. Nieto

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: challenge-2012-summer-read
Read in June, 2012

A beautiful book, an amazing read, a real page turner! I loved everything about the story, the characters, and the writing. I am so happy that I was able to join this blog tour.

Ron C. Nieto created a beautiful love story. The story starts off with what one believes to be a cliché plot, popular girl, outcast boy, falls in love… faces the normal high school drama. After only a few chapters in, one is proven wrong, there is nothing cliché about this love story.
Alice is a popular girl, she has worked hard to be popular and she does her best to follow the rules of popularity. She does have a hidden obsession; she stalks the school’s outcast. She is in love the music that Keith creates and plays.

Keith is a loner, he is picked on at school, and his only escape is his music.

Once upon a time these two were friends, before high school, before tragedy, and before popularity. Now Alice and Keith are thrown together in the school’s play. Alice is the lead female and Keith is in charge of the music. This is where the love story begins.

I am not sure at which point I fell in love with this story. It pulled me in from the first page, but at one point I discovered I was no longer reading the book but devouring the book. I could not put it down. I was completely wrapped up in Keith and Alice’s world.

The characters in this book are amazing. Alice starts off as the spoiled popular girl but I was able to see that she wanted to be different. She didn’t want to be that mean girl, but she was very afraid to lose her status in the school social structure.

Keith stole my heart from the very beginning. He is not written to be a swoon worthy hero. He is not built or handsome, but he has heart. I felt my heart break just a little every time he was bullied.

There are some really awesome supporting characters too. Dave and Anna are pretty cool. Anna is Alice’s best friend and Dave is another good friend. The loyalty and acceptance form these two friends really amazed me.

The writing if this story is so beautiful. The author was able to create a strong connection to the characters and a sense of the surroundings that had me believing I could see, hear, and feel it all. There are so many instances that I could recall forgetting where I was and just submersing myself in the words I was reading. The most memorable for me was the way I felt the music that was playing. I could sense the darkness in the music and hear the notes in my mind. It was a very moving read for me.

I would highly recommend this book. The summary only gives a tiny glance to what the book holds. The mystery, the excitement, and the romance will leave you with Keith and Alice long after you have read the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Song.