Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Sempre

Sempre by J.M. Darhower

This has to be one of the best books I've ever read and I've read some pretty darn good ones.

There was so much emotion in this and for such an awful subject matter, J.M. Darhower handled this oh so very well. It wasn't at all tawdry and I felt that she didn't romanticize human trafficking or the mob.

The characters were so well written and even without being in their situation or having experienced the things they went through, I felt they were easy to relate to. This is mostly because they were developed so well. I loved following the thoughts of Haven, Carmine and Vincent. I found myself rooting for me despite some of the truly awful things they either did to each other or to others. Out of them all, Haven was certainly the most innocent and it was such an amazing thing to see her evolve to the terrified girl that Vincent brought to North Carolina to the strong girl that made her decision to stay with and love Carmine per sempre. Carmine was certainly not perfect. He was rude and a horrible womanizer, but he grew a lot even though he still has that problem of just saying whatever popped into his head. However, he was such a sweetheart and fiercely loyal to the girl he fell in love with. He fought for her and he did what he could to help move beyond being a slave and stood back and let her stand up for herself when needed. He did hurt her with the things he said from time to time, but he always seemed to understand what he did wrong and apologize appropriately. Vincent moved from being someone that would possibly kill Haven someday to become someone better. It was obvious how much he had loved his wife, but what he did to Haven that one day was still horrible. I was proud of him when he was able to apologize for it. That moment in his office between him and Haven was one of my favorites. I found myself praying throughout the book that he would make it to the end because I had truly become terrified for him. What he was doing was the right thing, but there was so much danger involved. No matter his reasons for doing it, it was the right thing to do. I really fell in love with these characters just as much as I fell in love with watching the romance between Haven and Carmine.

I look forward to reading another book by J.M. Darhower.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sempre.

06/05/2012
2.0% "Now why would a doctor need to buy a girl to be a housekeeper?"
06/05/2012
3.0% "Carmine. Seems he's a manho."
06/05/2012
6.0% "Apparently, they both make each other uncomfortable."
06/05/2012
9.0% "Oh, this is getting interesting. Carmine's taken an interest in Haven. What a weird way to grow up."
06/05/2012
12.0% "Colpo di fulmine!"
06/05/2012
19.0% "These two are so freaking cute."
06/05/2012
34.0% "This story is so sweet, but so dang intense. I never know what's going to happen! I'm really hoping Vincent doesn't get himself killed despite his earlier bad behavior." 1 comment
06/05/2012
58.0% "What in the world has gotten into Carmine? I know that news about his mother and Haven really messed with him, but he seemed willing to work past that. What in the world has him so upset now?"
06/05/2012
60.0% "Finally! More of the truth!"
78.0% "Awwww!"
06/06/2012
84.0% "Oh man! The tension just ratcheted up!"
88.0% "For real?! Now?!"
06/06/2012
90.0% "This seems so bad idea."
06/06/2012
94.0% "Everybody's getting shot the hell up! *crosses fingers*"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sylvia Hope you like it :)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Heinzypop wrote: "Hope you like it :)"

Thanks! I'm sure I will.