♥ Ibrahim ♥ 's Reviews > How to Save Your Own Life

How to Save Your Own Life by Erica Jong

Oct 02, 2008

bookshelves: literature
Read in October, 2008

Because of MacKay Used bookstore I was able to get this book for free. The cover didn't look attractive. The author, Erica Jong, has an attractive personlity. I left Paulo Coelho aside and I went after this book and was charmed by her sense of humor, her real-ness, genuineness and eloquence. This book is meant to penetrate right to our hearts. Erica Jong is preaching the Gospel of Womanhood. Is woman entitled to be a being of her own without being totally lost in her identity in her husband's or continue to live in his shadow? Can she fulfill herself in what God has given her, gifts, talents, skills, etc? How is she to handle her husband's insecurity, as in the heroine Isadore who is an American-Oriental man that can best be described as sorrowful, glum, sanctimonious, uptight, boring and horribly absorbed into himself as if she doesn't exist. She gets back home usually and each is a world of their own, a wall separating them, the wall of gender and what a woman is supposed to do by appeasing her husband and living in his shadow and feeling guilty should she accomplish any success of her own. We can't help but greatly sympathize with the heroine and also examine ourselves and see how inwardly liberated we are of our egoism, spirit of control and domination, etc. The novel presents a challenge to both men and women to examine themselves while humorously looking at the painfulness of the situation. You once hurt with Erica Jong while at other times you share a big laugh with her. This novel prompts me to chase after the rest of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save Your Own Life.