Melissa's Reviews > The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jesus: A Novel

The Betrayal by Kathleen O'Neal Gear

Oct 13, 08

Read in October, 2008

Not one of Gear's best efforts. I appreciate her taking on a different era, a different kind of mystery, but in the end, it's just another Christianity-bashing book. *sigh* Why is this such a popular past time for authors these days? Can we pick on another religion for a change?

I actually stopped reading this book before I got to the end due to boredom with the characters, the ideas and the general pointlessness of the whole thing. The Gears are not generally known for the subtlety of their characterizations but in this example, the "church" the "state" and the "establishment" were so obviously The Bad Guys that the whole thing read like a spaghetti western without the delicate nuances. And then there is the whole attack on the roots of a faith; there are (in my humble opinion) times when it is alright to raise some titilating scenarios that fly in the face of the establishment in the fiction world and there are times when it is simply inappropriate. This is one of them. And oh, by the way - if certain religious writings have been destroyed from the earliest beginnings, it might not mean they threatened anyone's power, it might just mean they were wrong.

Don't bother with this one - it's certainly not worth the time and mental energy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal.