Annie Brewer's Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: absolutely-amazingly-awesome, bad-boy, cover-love, book-boyfriend, dystopian, favorite, irresistable-hot-guys, favorite-authors, favorite-series
Read from February 05 to 12, 2013

Now that I've read Destroy Me, I can officially say that I'm ready for Unravel Me. I am SO excited yet SO scared to read this. Having Warner's POV has given me an insight to his inner struggles and seeing his vulnerable side has really made me second guess my opinion of him. This is going to be one hell of a ride from here on out. Shit!

Go Team Adam!!!!!!

Well I'll be damned. That was....unfreakingbelievable!!!!!!!! Wow! I'm speechless and stunned. Once again Mafi kicks ass and takes names and this book was better than the first!!

Review to come!

Ahem! Well, where do I start? Where? I have no idea. I keep asking myself where I should start this review and seriously, I've not a clue. This book blew me away! I mean, I LOVED Shatter Me. I LOVED it so freakin much! I had no idea Mafi could top it...but of course, it is Mafi and her writing is ridiculously captivating, luring, equisite. AMAZING! There are no words to describe my love for Unravel Me. We all know how much I loathed the very existence of Warner in Shatter Me. But when I read Destroy Me, I understood him better, even felt sorry for him. I felt so bad for him. I felt his emotions as if they were my own. Still I was team Adam. I just love Adam Kent. Can't help it. He was so sweet and really undid me.

Now. *deep breaths, deep breaths* Now, I am not sure anymore. I told myself this book wouldn't sway me. I would not let and dammit to hell was it hard not to be swayed. Mafi has a way with words. She has a way with her writing that just sucks you in from the first page til the very last page where you're inside the story, feeling every bit of emotion the characters are feeling, experiencing every bit of heartbreak, love, pain, loss and everything inbetween. It was really hard not to get swept away by Warner's confession and heartfelt admissions. I mean, damn...that boy really broke my heart. You know it's hard not to fall for the bad boys...I have a weakness for them.

DAMMIT! What do I do?

photo seriouslygif_zpseff35c37.gif

Yeah, Mafi....WHY WOULD YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE???? It's not fair! I had already chosen!

photo adam2_zps078d2eb5.png

BUT....I still hold a soft spot for Warner. I can't fucking help it and I don't know what to do. OH. MY. GOD. This was not supposed to happen.

photo unravelme_zpsc0098ed7.gif

I know there were many that were still not swayed and though I am still team Adam for Juliette, I am just so in love with Warner. *GASP* Oh my God, I did not just say that. Shit! Shit! Shit!

Anyway, Kenji really made this book for me. He was AWESOME! I loved his character more in this book and saw such a wonderful side to him. At first, in Shatter Me I was skeptical about him. I wasn't sure if he could be trusted, but WOW! He really showed me what a dumbass I was for doubting him.

I LOVE YOU KENJI!!!

This book had SO many intense moments, I thought I was going to die and my heart was palpitating. Holy hell! I seriously could not stay in one spot for long as my heart kept trying to leap out of my chest. WOW! I loved the action in Shatter Me. But this book really was intense. And I loved it!

UGH, I HATE HATE HATE THAT EVIL BASTARD known as Mr Anderson...(crap, I forgot what they call him. Lt or some shit, see? It shows how much I hate his creepy evil ass). The one who basically created a monster in Warner. He is to blame for all of Warner's evil ways...I know it doesn't excuse the things he's done. But if Anderson was my dad, I think I'd rather kill myself.

photo unravelme1_zps29a9922b.jpg

I still loved Juliette. Damn, I do not envy that girl one bit. She's been in such a shit hole since the beginning...but ya know, she really gets stronger the more she overcomes. I get it, in the beginning she was all whiny...especially after finding some stuff out about Adam....*breathes breathes* I am still so upset by that revelation. Damn it! My heart hurts...for both of them! Ugh! But I think if I were in her shoes, I'd be crying like that too. She is still a teenager and having to deal with shit most kids her age shouldn't have to. I gotta give her mad props. Juliette, I love you! You're my homegirl...and I admire the fuck out of you! Just saying.

Oh....OH! OH MY GOD! That ummmm, thing about him and him....yeah, this was me:

photo stopit_zps56438f75.jpg

photo stopit1_zps910a0e77.jpg

photo unravelme3_zps75b700a2.gif

photo unravelme_zpsb0f726e4.jpg

Yeah, that sucked ass! But I shouldn't be too surprised..considering Mafi has a way of dropping crazy bombs over our heads just as we're already down. Gah! These poor characters can't catch a break.

OH and the best part...one them anyway....CHAPTER 62. Okay, so yeah, chapter 62 was AMAZEBALLS!!!!!! Damn!!!

photo TINLID20_zps8ee48e13.jpg

photo unravelme4_zpsbf35a2d4.jpg

photo vagina_zps45f823fd.gif

photo vagina1_zps25f74872.gif

Yeah, so you get the point. That is how that went down! And then the ending, left me very satisfied but wanting MORE!!! Now I ask you....will Juliette choose

WARNER:

photo Warner_zps298da5a7.jpg

or

ADAM KENT:

photo WillCooper_zpsf4a95949.jpg

We will see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

Quotes Annie Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“It's just a whisper of a kiss but something collapses in my skull. It's a feather-light brush of his mouth against my skin in a place I can't quite see. It's my mind speaking in a thousand different languages I don't understand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Sticks and stones keep breaking my bones but these words, these words will kill me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Warner was supposed to be dead. Warner was supposed to be dead because I was supposed to have shot him but no one supposed I'd need to know how to fire a gun so now I suppose he's come to find me.
He's come to fight.
For me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I know next are his arms, the desperate edge to his voice when he says my name, and I'm unraveling in his embrace, I'm frayed and falling apart and I'm making no effort to control the tremors in my bones and he's so hot his skin is so hot and I don't even know where I am anymore.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Are you kidding?” I stop in the middle of the kitchen. Spin around. My face is pulled together in disbelief. “You’ve spoken to me maybe once in the two weeks I’ve been here. I hardly even notice you anymore.”

“Okay, hold up,” he says, turning to block my path. “We both know there’s no way you haven’t noticed all of this” — he gestures to himself — “so if you’re trying to play games with me, I should let you know up front that it’s not going to work.”

“What?” I frown. “What are you talking abou—”

“You can’t play hard to get, kid.” He raises an eyebrow. “I can’t even touch you. Takes ‘hard to get’ to a whole new level, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh my God,” I mouth, eyes closed, shaking my head. “You are insane.”

He falls to his knees. “Insane for your sweet, sweet love!”

Tahereh Mafi
“So, what—you just walk right past me? Don’t even say hello?” He clutches the socks to his chest. “I’m crushed. I saved us a table and everything.”

I glance at him. Keep walking.

He catches up. “I’m serious. Do you have any idea how awkward it is to wave at someone and have them ignore you? And then you’re just looking around like a jackass, trying to be all, ‘No, really, I swear, I know that girl’ and no one believes y—”

Tahereh Mafi
“Please—please get up—and lower your voice—”
“Hell no.”
“Why not?” I’m pleading now.
“Because if I lower my voice, I won’t be able to hear myself speak. And that,” he says, “is my favorite part.”

Tahereh Mafi
“The man is moody as hell.”

“I am not moody—”

“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body.

I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world.”

“Hope.

It's like a drop of honey, a field of tulips blooming in the springtime. It's a fresh rain, a whispered promise, a cloudless sky, the perfect punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. And it's the only thing in the world keeping me afloat.”

“He looks immaculate.
Flawless, especially as he stands here among the dirt and destruction, surrounded by the bleakest colors this landscape has to offer. He's a vision of emerald and onyx, silhouetted in the sunlight in the most deceiving way. He could be glowing. That could be a halo around his head. This could be the world's way of making an example out of irony. Because Warner is beautiful in ways even Adam isn't.”

Tahereh Mafi
“His chest, heaving harder this time. His words, almost gasping this time. “You destroy me.”
I am falling to pieces in his arms.
My fists are full of unlucky pennies and my heart is a jukebox demanding a few nickels and my head is flipping quarters heads or tails heads or tails heads or tails heads or tails
“Juliette,” he says, and he mouths the name, barely speaking at all, and he’s pouring molten lava into my limbs and I never even knew I could melt straight to death.
“I want you,” he says. He says “I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you.” He says it like it’s a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says “It’s never been a secret. I’ve never tried to hide that from you. I’ve never pretended I wanted anything less.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want so many things,” he whispers. “I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time.” His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says “I want this up.” He tugs on the waist of my pants and says “I want these down.” He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, “I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it’s racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never,” he says, he breathes, “never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He’s kissing me like the world is rolling right off a cliff, like he’s trying to hang on and he’s decided to hold on to me, like he’s starving for life and love and he’s never known it could ever feel this good to be close to someone. Like it’s the first time he’s ever felt anything but hunger and he doesn’t know how to pace himself, doesn’t know how to eat in small bites, doesn’t know how to do anything anything anything in moderation.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to trust but it scares the skin off my bones.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend," he says. "The one who will memorise the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette-”

Tahereh Mafi
“Have you ever had a girlfriend, Kenji?"
"What?" He looks mortally offended. "Do I look like the kind of guy who's never had a girlfriend? Have you even met me?”

Tahereh Mafi
“On the darkest days you have to search for a spot of brightness, on the coldest days you have to seek out a spot of warmth; on the bleakest days you have to keep your eyes onward and upward and on the saddest days you have to leave them open to let them cry. To then let them dry. To give them a chance to wash out the pain in order to see fresh and clear once again.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I bite back a shiver as the blood rushes up to blush my cheeks and for a moment, just for this moment, I drop my bones and allow him to hold me together.”

Tahereh Mafi
“It's hot rain and humid days and broken thermostats. It's screaming and raging steam engines and wanting to take your clothes off just to feel a breeze. It's the kind of kiss that makes you realize oxygen is overrated.”

“You can go to hell!"
"Just because I'm going to hell doesn't mean you'll ever deserve her.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He's looking so deeply into my eyes that I'm surprised I haven't buckled under the intensity and I realize then, right in this moment I realize that everything about him is intense. Nothing about him is manageable or easy to compartmentalize. He's too much. Everything about him is too much. His emotions, his actions, his anger, his aggression. His love.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Loneliness is a strange sort of thing.
It creeps on you, quiet and still, sits by your side in the dark, strokes by your hair as you sleep. It wraps itself around your bones, squeezing so tight you almost can't breathe. It leaves lies in your heart, lies next to you at night, leaches the light out of every corner. It's a constant companion, clasping your hand only to yank you down when you're struggling to stand up.
You wake up in the morning and wonder who you are. You fail to fall asleep at night and tremble in your skin. You doubt you doubt you doubt.
do I
don't I
should I
why won't I
And even when you're ready to let go. When you're ready to break free. When you're ready to be brand-new. Loneliness is an old friend stand beside you in the mirror, looking you in the eye, challenging you to live your life without it. You can't find the words to fight yourself, to fight the words screaming that you're not enough never enough never ever enough.
Loneliness is a bitter, wretched companion.
Sometimes it just won't let go.”

Tahereh Mafi
“And he leans in, so carefully. Breathing
and not breathing and hearts beating
between us and he’s so close, he’s so close and I can’t feel my legs anymore. I can’t feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere,filling everything and he whispers
“Please.”
He says “Please don’t shoot me for this.”
And he kisses me.
His lips are softer than anything I've ever known, soft like a first snowfall, like biting into cotton candy, like melting and floating and being weightless in water. It’s sweet, it’s
so effortlessly sweet.
And then it changes.
“Oh God—”
He kisses me again, this time stronger,
desperate, like he has to have me, like he’s dying to memorize the feel of my lips against his own. The taste of him is making me crazy; he’s all heat and desire and peppermint and I want more. I've just begun reeling him in, pulling him into me when he breaks away.
He’s breathing like he’s lost his mind andhe’s looking at me like something has brokeninside of him, like he’s woken up to find that
his nightmares were just that, that they never existed, that it was all just a bad dream that felt far too real but now he’s awake and he’s safe and everything is going to be okay and
I’m falling.
I’m falling apart and into his heart and I’m a disaster.”

“You destroy me."
"Juliette," he says and he mouths the name, barely speaking at all, and he's pouring molten lava into my limbs and I never even knew I could melt straight to death.
"I want you," he says. He says "I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you." He says it like it's a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says "It's never been a secret. I've never tried to hide that from you. I've never pretended I wanted anything less."
"You-you said you wanted f-friendship-"
"Yes," he says, he swallows, "I did. I do. I do want to be your friend. He nods and I register the slight movement in the air between us. "I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend," he says. "The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette-"
"No," I gasp. "Don't-don't s-say that-"
"I want to know where to touch you," he says. "I want to know how to touch you. I want to know how to convince you to design a smile just for me." I feel his chest rising, falling, up and down and up and down and "Yes," he says. "I do want to be your friend." He says "I want to be your best friend in the entire world."
"I want so many things," he whispers. "I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time." His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says "I want this up." He tugs on the waist of my pants and says "I want these down." He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, "I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it's racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never," he says, he breathes, "never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it."
And I drop dead, all over the floor.
"Juliette."
I can't understand why I can still hear him speaking because I'm dead, I'm already dead, I've died over and over and over again.
He swallows, hard, his chest heaving, his words a breathless, shaky whisper when he says "I'm so-I'm so desperately in love with you-”

Tahereh Mafi
“Warner’s head is on my lap. His face is smooth and calm and peaceful in a way I've never seen it and I almost reach out to stroke his hair before I remember exactly how awkward this actually is.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Incredible. He left me bleeding all over his living floor. What a nice little present for his son to clean up. What a nice little lesson for his son to learn. Fall in love, and you get to watch your love get shot.”

Tahereh Mafi
“If you're not happy, just leave. Don't cheat. Doesn't take a genius to figure that shit out. - Kenji”

Tahereh Mafi
“I turn to face him. "Listen, I'm grateful you're going to help me train now-really, I am. Thank you for that. But you can't go around proclaiming your fake love for me-especially not in front of Adam-and you have to let me cross this room before the breakfast hour is over, okay? I hardly ever get to see him."
Kenji nods very slowly, looks a little solemn. You're right. I'm sorry. I get it."
"Thank you."
"Adam is jealous of our love."
"Just go get your food!" I push him, hard, fighting back an exasperated laugh.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I didn't sleep at all last night, my heart and mind plagued and conflicted and I cant feel my limbs, I cant taste the food I'm not eating and I cant see straight, I cant focus on the things I'm supposed to be hearing. All I can think about are all the casualties and Warner's lips on my neck, his hands on my body, the pain and passion in his eyes and the many possible ways I could die today. I can only think about Warner touching me, kissing me, torturing me with his heart and Adam sitting beside me, not knowing what I've done.”

Tahereh Mafi
“You sick piece of shit," Adam says to him, his voice low, measured.
"Such unfortunate language." Warner shakes his head. "Only those who cannot express themselves intelligently would resort to such crude substitutions in vocabulary.”

Tahereh Mafi
“You are so confident," he says to me. "You're stubborn and resilient. So brave. So strong. So inhumanly beautiful. You could conquer the world.”

02/05/2013 page 80
16.0% "And that is where my heart is shattered all over the floor. Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh. Shit. *sobs*" 3 comments
02/09/2013 page 130
27.0% "GAH!!!!!! This sucks! This sucks! This fucking sucks! I hate this. *sobs*" 18 comments
02/11/2013 page 200
41.0% "No fucking way!!! I did not see that coming!!! Well, this has just got more complicating." 4 comments
02/11/2013 page 230
47.0% "Gah, I'm so frustrated! Warner needs to go away. Go the fuck away. I can't stand him. Oh dammit, Adam my heart breaks for you. Your life has gone to shit. You deserve her...fuck! :(" 10 comments
02/11/2013 page 320
69.0% "This is some intense shit!!!! But I'm so glad Kenji is okay, love that guy!!!!!"

Deanna 3 MORE DAYS!!!!! Can't wait... and I felt the same way after reading Warner's POV.. But I'm still team Adam.

Annie Brewer Same here. I just understand him more now. I don't hate him like I did. I want them all to form alliance if that's possible. We'll see. I'm so anxious and nervous.

Yes, THREE days!!! Woot!!!

Sylvia I started this already Annie and at 21% I'm crying and dying ... be prepared that's all I'm saying !!

Annie Brewer Ahhhhh shit!!!!! I'm so nervous to read it. Damn damn damn!!!! :(

Sylvia I'm still nervous thinking about it and as I read on my gut is doing somersaults

Annie Brewer Ugh! Fuck! I'm scared, so scared, so scared. *sobs* I can only imagine what's happening.

Sylvia I has to stop reading to sleep so my mind is trying to function but I can't stop thinking about the book ... It really is consuming me

Annie Brewer I might wait to read this then. I can't take more heartbreak. :(

Sylvia NO!! You have to read it Annie...It's like watching a wreck you don't want to but you keep looking ... The writing is suburb and I wound did waiting anymore if I didn't read this book

Annie Brewer I know. Her writing is so consuming. I'm still thinking about this series. I love it so much more than I anticipated. I seriously wish I would have read it sooner.
I can't wait for this any longer. Need to get my greedy hands on this gem before I end up in the asylum! Lol. I'll read it ASAP. I won't wait too long. I need more Adam & Juliette! Even if it ends badly. *sniff sniff*

Sylvia Good...can't wait to hear what everyone thinks...it feels like I'm reading this alone knowing that my fellow Aussies can read it too if they got it LOL hurry up Tues so I can scream along with the rest of the world ... yes I need more Adam and Juliette and might I say Warner more ... I think he is about to be seen in the next chapter I'm going to read EEEEPPPPPP

Andreea Pop How is it??

Sylvia I'm finished Annie and I'm exhausted lol

Annie Brewer I know I saw. I'm nervous. I'm not too far in and already my heart breaks for Adam. :(

Sylvia Oh Annie...just brace yourself

Annie Brewer Oh damn did I brace myself. I was on the edge of my seat...errr bed the whole time. Omg what an excellent sequel!!! I loved loved loved it!!!! The last half was non-stop crazy action, intense heart pumping chaos. And chapter 62...whew! I was sweating by the time I finished that bit. *fans self*

Sylvia LOL I hear ya Annie...chapter 62 is to die for ... Best sequel ever in my opinion and now we must wait grrrrr

* Sara Johns* Is this a cliffhanger?

Annie Brewer Eh, not really. It leaves you wanting more but it's bearable.

* Sara Johns* Ok thanks!!!

message 21: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin So glad you loved it hun!!

message 22: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Awesome review, Annie!! Can't wait to start this series ;-)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Great review Annie ;)

Annie Brewer Debra-it's definitely a must read!!!! Can't wait to see what you think! :)

Thank you Rosalinda! :)

message 25: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Wiseman awesome review :)

Annie Brewer Thank you! It was an awesome book! :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I felt the exact same way. As for choosing, I maintain that she should get to keep both...

Mélodie you chose really great pictures at the end for the 2 guys !! that's exactly how they should look like !!

Annie Brewer Oh thank you! I agree! They're both hot, just as Adam and Warner are. :)

Mélodie yes indeed :P well i'm going back to destroy me now ! almost finished !!

Mélodie so are you still team adam ?? or warner .... ? i'm finishing destroy me and i'm getting quite confused !! damn you tahereh mafi !

Annie Brewer Ummmmm still Team Adam...BUT I'm also very confused. Omg you MUST read Unravel Me right after. The confusion only gets worse. Mafi is an evil genius! I seriously don't know anymore..I love them both so much! :(

Mélodie what's the name of that guy that you picked for adam ?

Mélodie p.s. after unravel me i'm SOOOOO team Warner :D

Annie Brewer Omg I can't remember his name. He's hot though. I got a bunch of smexy pics of him. I'll think of it though.

P.S., me too! (I think)

Mélodie :D i found the name of warner thought !! and i sent a message to tahereh mafi with their pictures and said they were like the perfect guys ever for thoses roles !! that's really how i imagined them !!

Annie Brewer Who is the guy I chose for Warner???? He's smooooooookin!!!!! Hot. Damn.!

Mélodie tobias cameroon
look him up on google :) you won't regret it :3

Mélodie ahhhh just looking at him is so great ahhhhh !!! yeah even the pretend warner is better than pretend adam :)

Mélodie if you find adam tell me k ?

Annie Brewer Adam Gregory.....that's his name. It just came back to me. Now I'm going to check out some Cameron hotness.....*fans self*

Annie Brewer I mean Tobias lol

Mélodie lol yeah they're really hot ! you've got good taste !!

Annie Brewer Lol, thanks!!!! <3

Marie Gonzalez Your reviews are SO spot on.

Annie Brewer Haha, thank you! I usually try to be accurate! At least in my opinions. Who do you like after this book??

Alexandra  Harris I'm just starting, I'm nervous though because her first was so awesome and I have really high hopes for this one. Usually when I have high hopes I get let down :(

Brandi Fabulous review Annie!!! Such an amazing book, I cannot wait for Ignite Me! :)

Annie Brewer Thank you, Brandi! I loved it but I'm so nervous for what's to come for the trio. I can't decide...Adam...Warner...Adam...Warner. Ahhhhhh! Lol

Shanah Davis I have the audiobook in my library!!! You must find a way to get it in yours!!

Cress too.

Ps I love the guys you picked as Warner and Adam. Both totally gorgeous.

« previous 1