Lori's Reviews > Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook

Extending the Table by Joetta Handrich Schlabach

120409
Jul 19, 07

bookshelves: petprojects, highly-recommended

I've sampled from this text since the early- to mid-90s.
And not once has it failed to make me appreciate how home cooks the world over feed their families using meager ingredients. Undoubtedly, the least complicated dishes in this book tend to shine brightest.
For example, the idea to combine milk and grapefruit juice offers up a sublime refreshment that I patiently wait for every January/February when ruby red grapefruit come into season. I have to stop myself from drinking gallons upon gallons of this Dominican treat.

If nothing else, the recipes in this book can aid in the process of emptying an overstocked pantry. What to do with leftover couscous or cornmeal? Why, mix them with cooked greens or make a simple vegetable sauce to eat them with. I might not have survived graduate school without this book. It enabled me to live on a meager $20/week for groceries. In DC, that's quite a feat. But, it's possible, and healthy given the right mindset and appreciation for non-animal proteins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extending the Table.