Susanna - Censored by GoodReads's Reviews > Winter King: Henry VII and the Dawn of Tudor England

Winter King by Thomas Penn

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: british-history, history, tudor, renaissance
Read from May 25 to November 01, 2013

Thomas Penn's Winter King is not really a biography of Henry VII, and more a study of what he was directing his government to do in his name. (We certainly can, and do, decide what sort of king Henry was based on what he had his government get up to, however.)

For a further review: http://susannag.booklikes.com/post/67... .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter King.

05/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/01/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by MAP (new)

MAP I have this book at home too! Let me know what you think! :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Just finished the prologue (covering the Wars of the Roses) last night, so I'm not properly into it yet. The picture insert in the middle is yummy.

Orsolya Slow start but after you get used to it, it is great. I gave it 4 stars.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Great, that's very encouraging.

The book is physically very nice: good paper, nice font (and in a good size).

Orsolya It's just written a bit differently than some bios (not as chronological, etc) but once you settle in, you learn a lot. At least, I did.

Bettie☯ Did you buy into his reason for Shakespeare not writing about Henry VII?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Don't think I've gotten to that bit yet. (Cosmos, it distracted me.)

Bettie☯ Will be starting with chapter 2 tomorrow, bright and early if it is dry, as there is so much needs a-doing. Slap on the head phones and out with my strimmer into that jungle which is lovingly known as the garden.

Cosmos is a distraction, in the very best way.
:O)