Ashley Chen's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: arcs, must-review
Read in August, 2012

Hart was your typical good looking dude with an attitude and a sense of humor. He was damaged. He was the guy who did bad things and basically needed a female (Kayla) to see pass that evil. He was the type of character that was strong and will protect the girl (Kayla) no matter what.

Kayla was your strong-but-actually-weak female lead. She reminded me of Olivia Dunham at first with her need to find things out, and needed to protect people. But as I read on, she became someone like Orihime, who was a goody two shoes. She trusted people who I think I wouldn't trust right away. She was innocent and pure. She needed to be rescued by others (yeah, definitely Orihime). I'm sorry to say, I'm not a fan of Orihime typed character.

The creatures are well described. Can you imagine seeing a man sized crow? That would be a sight! Dragons! WOOT. My favorite mythical creature. I really enjoyed how Kira weaves myths, and legends in the book. It was a joy to read. Along with myths, Kira was able to update the old into the new. A lot of the things mentioned (such as technology) were very updated (think of CIA tech).

The action started about 10 pages in. The fighting was well described, Kira provided enough details for readers to understand but not too much to bored us. I do have to say the beginning of the book was quite predictable so it was easy to skim through.

The hidden war really reminded me of Bleach with the battles between Soul Reapers and Hollows. There was a gate and it was weakened. Ghosts and such destroyed a lot of the city. Humans were unaware of all the fighting. Seattle was really described as a place that every reasonable person should be scared of. A lot of the settings reminded me of the show Supernatural (especially the ones with vampires, and the Alphas) but also Gotham City but with a Steampunk and Victorian twists.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.