Ally Atherton's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

May 08, 12

bookshelves: 52-books-in-52-weeks
Read in May, 2012

Christine wakes up every morning and doesn't know where she is or who the strange man is in the bed next to her. Every morning she looks in the mirror to find that she is an older woman and has no memory of anything that has happened for the last twenty years. Ever morning is the same, every morning she is lost.

Allow me to gush for a while as I write this review. Allow me to struggle to write anything that sums up how amazing this book is. Before I Go To Sleep is original and imaginative, filled with suspense, it is totally captivating. This book gets under your skin and you cannot cannot put it down once it gets hold of you. My head was filled with a thousand questions as I tried to figure out what was going on and where the plot was taking me and this disturbingly edgy book continued to call out to me even when I wasn't reading it.

I am a sucker for anything different and original and perhaps this book isn't going to satisfy lovers of action thrillers because this is more of a psychological thriller. If you are looking for car chases and fistfights then this may not be for you but i would highly recommend it.
This is S.J Watson's first published novel and I have to admit I read this thinking that the author was a woman! I only found out in the latter half of the book after doing a google search that S.J Watson is a man. I think this was partly because the main character is a woman and he abbreviates his name. Now that I know he is a bloke I can honestly say this is not only the best book I have read this year by a male author but probably the best book i have read this year. perhaps ever. I am not joking, I am gushing as I write this.

5/5 Captivating stuff.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.