Tiffany Wacaser's Reviews > Just Listen

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

May 29, 12

Just Listen is a story of a young women, alienated from her high school peers by a terrible secret. As she copes with holding her secret inside, she has to deal with her family struggles, a sister nearly dying from anorexia and an emotionally fragile mother. Annabel meets another outcast at school whose honesty with himself and others changes her life.

I was impressed with the way the author handled the ins and outs of high school drama, the adept way she described the destructive power of rumors, and showed how a teenage girl navigates family struggles while holding in her own pain.

My only complaint with the book was that the main character, Annabel seemed so restrained in coping with her own problems. She seemed very adult. I could understand how she held it in when dealing with her own family, but it seemed a little contrived to be so reserved with herself. Still undecided about that aspect of the book.

Anyhow, thought the story was well-done and something I would recommend for adults and teens alike. The only thing I really disliked was the way the teen characters casually drank beer at parties. I suppose the author thought it was authentic, but I think the author definitely downplayed the dangers and problems of teenage drinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Listen.