Shannon's Reviews > French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters

French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon

Mar 29, 13

Read from June 12 to 16, 2012

"French psychologists and nutritionists have systematically assessed the average number of times children have to taste new foods before they willingly agree to eat them: the average is seven, but most parenting books recommend between ten and fifteen."

Cute book, but nothing earth shattering, unless you, like the author, don't realize things like your kids will be more likely to eat better at meals if they haven't snacked within the last hour. On the other hand, our family's eating patterns are more like what the author describes takes place in France than in North America (we usually eat 3 meals plus 1-2 snacks, not constant snacking throughout the day).

Takeaways for me include:
-food is a huge part of French culture
-French parents (and schools) focus on awakening their children's palates with a variety of flavors
-if your kids don't like a food, maintain an attitude that "you just haven't tried it enough times"
-if you kids like an unhealthy food (McDonald's!) say, "I liked that when I was a kid, too. You'll outgrow it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Kids Eat Everything.

06/14/2012 page 137