Richard Derus's Reviews > Shine

3920693
May 08, 12

it was ok
Read in May, 2012

This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My daughter is finishing the 9th grade in a relatively small town in a very poltically conservative and very, very religious state. Nontheless, she reports that there are several courageous gay junior high students, living openly without taunting or bullying and are accepted by their peers. Also, last year, a gay couple went to the senior prom without incident or scandal. I realize that this is anecdotal and does not change what is obviously still a national problem, but I do think that it does reflect a growing tolerance in the younger generation. And it goes to reinforce my own belief that we must judge people (including those in small towns in the south) as individuals and not just as members of a group. Poignant review.

Richard Derus It's stories such as that one that give me hope for the future. My generation had it way better than the ones before, and this generation has it way better than we did. This is exactly how I hoped it would go, and to be completely honest, a lot faster than I hoped it would go there!

Thanks for the kind words about the review, too. It's nice of you to say so.

Richard Derus Many thanks, Moonbutterfly! I appreciate you for saying so.

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my Texan age cohort wasn't enlightened. School busing was new and much resented, faggots were still beaten with only token tutting, etc etc. But there was always an individual component to this. Some people weren't made fun of or bullied despite being different. They were bad targets because, to a one, they were confident.

That made all the difference then, and it does now, too. Your co-worker hid nothing, skulked around not at all, just got on with making himself into the man he's always been. Some will still hate, but they'll be shamed into doing it quietly.

As ever.