Michelle (Much Loved Books)'s Reviews > Closed Hearts

Closed Hearts by Susan Kaye Quinn

May 16, 12

Read from May 08 to 16, 2012

I really enjoyed reading the previous instalment, Open Minds, and when the author contacted me regarding reviewing Closed Hearts and to join in the blog tour I jumped at the chance. So today will be my review, but check back on 1st June for my post as part of the blog tour.

The first thing that grabs my attention is the cover, Susan has lucked out for both of her books in this series, having fantastic covers for them both. Closed Hearts picks up straight where Open Minds finished, Kira is hiding out with her family to avoid the attention from previous publicity surrounding the revelation of jackers. But living a life of secrecy doesn't always work out as planned and soon Kira is discovered when old enemies are back for revenge.

It was so easy to fall back into Kira's world of Readers and Jackers and I really enjoyed following her as she learns more things about herself, her abilities, and also others that are like her. We get to learn of Kira's struggle to fit in even more than before and how she is always thinking of her family and keeping them safe. Kira is only a teenager, but acts so much older than her years that I actually forgot how old she was until it's later mentioned. New twists are introduced for Jackers, and we learn Kira is a keeper, a Jacker who can keep their thoughts, whose mind barrier is impenetrable.
Susan has added more things into Closed Hearts that I really wish were real. Tattoos that stay on your skin for six months, perfect for if you wanted to try one out before getting a real one, nano colour as hair dye. In fact I would just be happy with their gadgets.

Closed Hearts was a gripping read and I never knew what would happen next, I was hooked from the moment I started reading. I love the futuristic world that Susan has created with all its gadgets to go along with it, although I am not too keen on the whole mind reading things, some thoughts are meant to be private. ;) The last few chapters were heart breaking and deep down inside I want it to be fixed and for things to work out, but I have doubts whether it will or not and I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment in this series to find out what happens.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Closed Hearts.