Nissanmama's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

May 08, 12

Read in January, 2011

The methodic and careful unfolding of Kathryn Lyons grief over the death of her husband, a pilot for Vision airlines who died in a fiery explosion over Ireland, was authentic. I felt her grief as the process for Katheryn was articulately told in third person. The course of the story was largely predictable, but no less griping in its telling. The author successfully made me care about Kathryn, her feelings, and what happened to her and her daughter. I think I might have changed the ending slightly, but I was not disappointed in it as written at all.

I can easily see why it was pulled for a movie. I was pleasantly surprised to note that Shreve was among the credits as both a co-producer and screen writer. I think for this reason the movie held very closely to the book. There were a few changes for pacing, but overall, the story translated well to the visual medium. This was especially true of the "memory bombs" that would be randomly triggered as part of the grieving process. Flashbacks to accommodate this were seamlessly woven into the movie. Not surprisingly, the movie did change the ending, but not in the same way I would have. I felt the movie's ending, however, was absolutely in keeping with the integrity of the book. It's good Saturday afternoon rental, but read the book first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.