Meaganr's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Aug 03, 12

I love mythology. What I love even more is when an author can write a book based off of mythology, but still have enough normal aspects to the book that I'm still able to relate to some of the things that the main character is dealing with. Thankfully, this book does that perfectly.

Alex is returning to the Covenant, a place where Pures and Half-bloods can live in peace from both mortals and Daimons (the evil beings addicted to killing and drinking aether-the stuff in pure and half-blood beings). Three years ago, her mother took her away to live with the mortals for reasons that she never explained, but now, after seeing her mother dying at the hands of a Daimon and nearly dying herself, Alex is returning. She should be happy, this is where she was trying to get back to. Problem is, she's a half-blood. In the world of the Hematoi, that means that she's in big trouble because half-bloods are considered lesser beings than the Pures. A half-blood has two choices in life, become a Sentinal and defend the Pures or become a slave and serve them. After commiting a crime like Alex has, she is almost guaranteed a life of servitude. That is until Aiden, a pure, steps in and proposes a deal that can save her future. But now that she's back at the Covenant, everything seems to be going wrong. When Seth, the incredibly cocky Apollyon, comes to campus and Daimons start making more frequent appearances, everything Alex thought she knew is questioned, and she has to learn who she can really trust before her entire world is flipped upside down.

I loved all the characters in this book. I especially loved that Alex was such a Bad-ass. She had that whole "I don't give a f*ck" kind of attitude (even though really she did :P), and she seemed to like to get herself in to trouble. She also was a fighter. She resorted to physical violence more often than not and I actually found it rather funny how little control she had over her emotions. It made her strong, unique, and also vulnerable.
I loved her best friend Caleb because he was such the perfect... I guess side kick would be the best way to say it. Him and Alex were perfect partners in crime and he was always there for her when she needed him. I think I liked their relationship because there was no romance or unrequited feelings on either side; they were truly just like brother and sister.
There is definitely a bit of a love triangle in this book between the narcissistic Seth, the forbidden yet alluring Aiden, and of course Alex, but like the oracle said one relationship is based off need and one is based off love. But you'll have to read to figure out which is which. :P

Overall this book was awesome. There's action, romance, deceit, humor, and so much more! Basically this is yet another book by Jennifer L. Armentrout that I've read and loved, and I'd definitely recommend reading it :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.