Rachael Wade's Reviews > Gabriel's Rapture

Gabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: crack-books, favorites
Read in May, 2012

“Grace isn't something we deserve, Gabriel," Julia said softly. "It comes from love. And God wraps the world in second chances and sticky little leaves and mercy, even though some people don't want them.”

Initially, this sequel threw me off. My emotions were all over the place and I just wanted the old Gabriel and Julia back—as dysfunctional as they were—and wanted to see them get their HEA. I did not like for one second the fact that so many people were trying to tear one of my favorite book couples apart. Then there was the fact that Gabriel changed so drastically, which took some getting used to. Once I did get used to the new and improved Mr. Emerson, his rebirth was so endearing and it made me tear up on more than one occasion. I’m still in a bit of a daze from his transformation. It was so emotional, so intense. Then as the story progressed, I started to see it completely separate from its predecessor, so I stopped comparing the two.

While this sequel was very different from Gabriel’s Inferno, it was beautiful in its own way. Just as the first book focused a lot on the theme of redemption, this one focused on that and much more. I think the theme of hope in God (and one’s self) and the quest for peace was the most prevalent, and that really resonated with me. I’m Christian, so I found myself reflecting on my faith and why I believe in a creator in the first place. The whole “sticky little leaf” conversation is what struck me the most. I loved the message there because I share the view that Julia does—that there is a lot of evil in the world, but there is also good if you look for it. It just depends on where your sight is set. Sometimes we don’t give the good stuff enough credit because the bad is so loud, so distracting.

That being said, this installment of Gabriel and Julia’s story made me think more about faith and less about their romance, although the story was still very romantic with plenty of swoon-worthy moments. They really were soul mates and were each other’s saving grace, although they had to find their own individual peace first before they could reunite and be truly happy. Once they did find that peace individually, it made their bond even stronger when they reunited. Reading this sequel felt like a spiritual experience for me and it was an unexpected, welcome one.

You can’t help but feel that the author chose his words very deliberately and very carefully, and that made me respect and admire the way the story was crafted all the more. Gabriel’s Inferno is still my favorite, but I loved seeing this couple put to the test in ways they weren’t in book one and seeing them experience those much needed revelations. As usual, SR’s writing was elegant, charming, and meaningful, and I can’t wait to read more from him in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Rapture.

Quotes Rachael Liked

Sylvain Reynard
“Truth sets one free, but love casts out fear.”
Sylvain Reynard, Gabriel's Rapture

Sylvain Reynard
Sylvain Reynard, Gabriel's Rapture

05/21/2012
05/23/2012
35.0% "Oh, Paulina. How I despise thee."
05/24/2012
50.0% "Stress!" 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog You finished! lol. Excellent review as always. It amazes me how different people can perceive a story. Your review totally put this story in a whole new perspective. Excellent :)

message 2: by Rachael (last edited May 27, 2012 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael Wade Tessamari wrote: "You finished! lol. Excellent review as always. It amazes me how different people can perceive a story. Your review totally put this story in a whole new perspective. Excellent :)"

Thanks, Tess! Yeah, this group read was interesting. We had quite a wide variety of opinions on this one! It really put my emotions through a blender. Whew. I feel like I ran a marathon or something LOL.