Tony's Reviews > Oscar Wilde Short Stories

Oscar Wilde Short Stories by Oscar Wilde

May 08, 12

bookshelves: fiction-short-stories
Read in May, 2012

OSCAR WILDE: Stories – I. (var.). Merlin Holland (ed. & intro.). ****.
This is the first volume of Wilde’s stories issued by The Folio Society in 1993. It is illustrated by Ian Archie Beck, and contains an introduction by Mr. Holland, Wilde’s grandson. The stories run from short novel length – “The Picture of Dorian Gray – to one-pagers more in the style of either nursery stories or Aesop’s Fables. There is also a collection of what he called “Poems in Prose,” very short pieces, sometimes only one paragraph long. The length doesn’t seem to matter. They are all terrific stories. “Dorian Gray,” we all know, but many of the others we don’t. Each one is a marvelous discovery of satire or irony. The pieces that were written in the form of fairy tales could have been used as the basis of those in the “Fractured Fairy Tales,” in the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. There is usually some type of surprise ending or a fanciful ending that goes against anything you might be expecting. This is a great collection, and I look forward to the second volume in this set. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oscar Wilde Short Stories.