Mariah Weise's Reviews > Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

May 08, 2012

I thought this book was very strange and thought it really cool. It was a different kind of thing and can't wait for the second one

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

Quotes Mariah Liked

Myra McEntire
“Most of what I say is complete truth. My edit button is broken.”

Myra McEntire
“Offering to help me implies I'm in distress. I'm not currently.”

Myra McEntire
“It was good for a while, being empty. I didn't hurt anymore. But as time went on, it was like I could hear myself from far away, begging for permission to come back.”

Myra McEntire
“My heart stumbled a little, but the tenderness in his voice kept me from falling.”

Myra McEntire
“Aren't you just a knight in shining armor? ... Wherever do you keep your horse? And who scoops up the crap it leaves behind?”

Myra McEntire
“I smiled back as he walked away, but all the lovely butterflies in my stomach landed one by one in a cold, dead heap.”

Myra McEntire
“Hey, bro, do you think you can put Shorty back on her chain?"

I stepped forward with my hands on my hips, only slightly intimidated to find Kaleb almost eye level with me when he was seated and I was standing.

"First of all, no one is the boss of me but me. Secondly, if you ever reference my 'chain' again, I will kick your ass." I jabbed him hard in the chest with my finger. Possibly breaking it. "And thirdly, don't call me Shorty."

Kaleb sat silently for a second, his eyes wide as he looked at Michael. "Where did you get her? Can you get me one?"

I blew out a loud, frustrated sigh and dropped down beside Michael, who didn't even try to hide his smile. "You should probably apologize to Emerson."

"I am sorry." Kaleb grinned at me. "Sorry I didn't meet you first.”

Myra McEntire
“Getting a full-body buzz with a guy I'd just met was as weird as seeing dead people. But much more enjoyable.”

Myra McEntire
“Tuxedo Guy looked even better the closer he got to us- tall wide shoulders, smooth skin, those lips.”

Myra McEntire
“You know, Scarlett, Rhett didn't give a damn, and frankly, I don't either.”

Myra McEntire
“I walked in without knocking. The screen door banged to a close behind me announcing my presence. I followed my nose to the kitchen and found Kaleb standing by the stove. He stirred something that smelled absolutely delicious a wooden spoon in one hand and a huge chef’s knife in the other.

“Are you sober?” I asked from the doorway.

He turned and leveled a smile at me that made me a little wobbly. “I am."

“Good. Because if not I was going to take the deadly kitchen utensil away from you.” I crossed the room and pulled myself up to sit on the counter beside the stove. A cutting board full of green peppers and two uncut stalks of celery waited for attention from the knife. Melted butter and diced onions bubbled in a sauté pan on the stove. “You cook."

Kaleb was so pretty I was jealous. Pretty with ripped muscles and a tattoo of a red dragon covering most of his upper body. “Yes,” he said. “I cook.”

“Do you usually wear a wife beater and,” I pushed him back a little by his shoulder “an apron that says ‘Kiss the Cook’ while you’re doing it? ”

He leaned so close to me my heart skipped a couple of beats. “I’ll wear it all the time if you’ll consider it.”

Myra McEntire
“He bent down burying his face in my neck. I reached back to grab onto the iron bars behind me to hold myself up. My jacket slipped off my shoulders. I was pretty sure I was on fire and at that moment I would have sworn that bursting into flame was a glorious way to go.”

Myra McEntire
“I am sorry." Kaleb grinned at me. "Sorry I didn't meet you first.”

Myra McEntire
“I love you - broken in pieces, whole, however. No matter what the future brings, no matter what was in the past.”

Myra McEntire
“It's amazing what flipping a grown man over her shoulder does for a girl.”

Myra McEntire
“Crazy like he's a serial killer, or crazy like he attends Star Trek conventions in full costume?"

"That's only crazy if you dress like a Klingon," I pointed out.”

Myra McEntire
“My breath caught in my throat.
Buttered biscuits and honey.
"You're not what I expected.”

Myra McEntire
“Aren't I supposed to be brave, fearless? Isn't that what the world expects?"

"Screw what the world expects. Think about all the things you've faced. You cracked, but you didn't break. You're still standing. I'd call that fearless. You've already conquered so much.”

Myra McEntire
“No matter what your reality looks like, you're the girl I'm in love with today, and the same girl I'll be in love with tomorrow and all the days after that. Not just because of who you are, but because of who you were.

It's all part of your story, Em. And I want to be a part of your story, too.”

Myra McEntire
“I wanted to be alone with him. Really alone. "Maybe we should take this back to my place." He lifted his head to look at me, a strange expression on his face. I let out a nervous giggle. "That sounded better in my head."

"It sounded pretty damn good out of it.”

Myra McEntire
“If he wasn't already holding my heart in the palm of his hand, I would have taken it out and given it to him right then.”

Myra McEntire
“Emerson, you just shared your deepest secret with me. I value that. Don't make light of it."

If he wasn't already holding my heart in the palm of his hand, I would have taken it out and given it to him.”

Myra McEntire
“I had a dilemma. I could find absolutely no good reason to slap the girl standing in the kitchen doorway. And I really wanted one.”

Myra McEntire
“Lots of unbelievable things happened. Every day. Things like gravity.”

Myra McEntire
“For a chance with you, I can wait.”

Myra McEntire
“If you were my child, I would staple you to your bedroom wall.”

Myra McEntire
“Screw what the world expects. Think about all the things you’ve faced. You cracked, but you didn’t break. You’re still standing. I’d call that fearless.”