Marianne's Reviews > Stand by Me

Stand by Me by Neta Jackson

F_50x66
May 08, 12

Read in May, 2012

Although I have read some of Neta Jackson's children novels, this is the first of her 'adult' novels I have read. What an awesome novel, following Katheryn Davies (also know as Kat with a K) from the exhibition tent at the Midwest Music Festival in Central Illinois where she became a born-again Christian, to a few years later when she is in College living out her Christianity. By coming into her life just after her decision to follow Christ, and continuing, we have a good example of her growth in maturity, as well as those time she is too bold. Impetuous, and talkative, she has a tendency to irritate those older than her generation, especially some so 'together' as Avis Douglass appears to be. Neta delves directly into many issues – mother and daughter relationships, stepfathers, abusive father, peer relationships (both female and male), reconciliation as well as racism, in a realistic and mind-changing way. I enjoyed the young peoples' enthusiasm for reaching out to others to spread the gospel. Yet at no point did I feel the novel to be preachy, though church services were included.
Strong characters, yet each vulnerable, teachable for the most part, make this a great novel to use as a study book, and there is a study guide included in the book. A super book I will pass on to my friends, and look for other SouledOut Sisters novels in the series.

I received this free ebook from ThomasNelson Publishers through their booksneeze program in exchange for an honest review, which I have done. A posititve review was not required. The opinions stated are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stand by Me.