Lauren's Reviews > Be Mine Tonight

Be Mine Tonight by Kathryn Smith

Be Mine Tonight
3.5 Stars

Synopsis
In 1307, six knights break into a Templar stronghold in search of the Holy Grail only to be turned into vampires when they inadvertently drink from the Blood Grail. 700 years later, the Blood Grail is in danger of being unearthed once again and the warrior known as Chapel must travel to Tintagel England to thwart the attempt. Once there, he encounters Prudence Ryland, a feisty young woman desperate to obtain the grail for her own reasons, and is torn between saving the woman he has come to love or allowing her to be cursed as he once was.

Review
An original mix of Arthurian and biblical motifs but there are also some predictable moments.

The writing flows but lacks that immersing quality that would make it excellent. The story gets off to an exciting start but slows down and takes a while to get back on track toward the end.

The romance is the focus of the book and it is sweet and tender with some spicy moments that contribute to the natural progression of Chapel and Pru's relationship. Pru is witty, sarcastic and direct and is a good contrast with the dark, brooding and sexy Chapel, who is an endearing character although he does have a tendency to wallow in self pity too often.

The thing that irritated me the most was the portrayal of Pru's illness. She is supposedly dying of cancer, but except for one or two incidents, carries on regardless. While this may be explained by her desire to live life to the fullest, it is unrealistic. Moreover, even though the descriptions of Pru's sense of loss and sadness at missing out on life, love and family are touching, there is no sense of urgency regarding her impending death and dire need to be saved.

The conspiracy plot is weak and underdeveloped as there is no real quest or sense of adventure, excitement or danger. The origins and agenda of the mysterious Order of the Silver Palm are never described or explained.

The secondary characters are superficial - Pru's sisters are interchangeable and while Marcus and Molyneux are interesting, it is obvious that their role will remain small. The other Knights (love their names - Bishop, Saint, Reign and Temple) are compelling even though they don't actually make an appearance in the book and I am interested enough to read their stories.

Despite its shortcomings, this is a good introduction to a series that has definite potential and I will be continuing on to the next installment, which is Bishop's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Mine Tonight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauren It took me a while to get into it but I loved it by the end. It made me cry too.