Brian's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

M_50x66
May 24, 12

Read from May 08 to 24, 2012

I know King isn't the best offer out there, but his writing is accessible, his plot lines are clear, and his insight is keen. This is the first book of his I have picked up in awhile, but the plot intrigued me. I mean, if you're going to go back in time, why not try to do something with impact, like save Kennedy (John F, not Ted) from his fate on the afternoon of 11/22/63?
Under my usual non-spoiler policy, let me just start by saying, I really enjoyed this novel. It's obvious he did a fair amount of research for this one, and it comes through. I also thought he did a very nice job in developing the characters here, and for once, the main female characters (not introduced until around the middle of the book) were well thought out, complex, and not merely stereo types to enhance (Or in many cases to be victimized) within the story.
Writing about any version of time travel is tricky, it's well covered ground with terms and theories like the butterfly effect, multiple realities, and undoing past wrongs all fairly well covered by other writers. The thing in 11/22/63 is, King just accepts these particular postulates, and uses them to build his particular story, which largely is about a man who in the midst of trying to change history, finds his true love. He doesn't focus as much on the theory as just blends them into the plot and as such, I think adds an element of believability to the whole thing which in the end works.
The real clincher to me, not to be vague, was the ending. I really, well... loved it. I'm a sucker for a good love song too, but I found the ending uniquely sweet and closed the book (OK, clicked the Kindle is more like it, but doesn't have the same je ne sais qua to it, now does it?) I had actually teared up a little bit, and had a smile on my face.
It was a nice way to welcome in the summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

05/08/2012 page 121
14.0% "and now for something considerably lighter (than Blood Meridian anyway.)"
show 1 hidden update…