Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > The Infects

The Infects by Sean Beaudoin
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4352734
's review
Sep 17, 12

it was amazing
bookshelves: arc, favourites
Read on September 17, 2012

So, check it.

This book is far from perfect. There are ambiguities in the story itself that the author chose to leave unexplored for whatever reason he deemed necessary. Even so, I gave this book five stars and I am going to attempt my very best to tell you why. The ratings for this book here puzzles me; but for once, I see a role reversal of some sort. Usually, I'd be scratching my head because of a book's history of high rating in which I disagree. This time, however, I'm on the flip side of the coin.

The Gist: Troubled teens serving 3-6 months in a reform camp. Genetically enhanced, chemically induced chicken. Zombie apocalypse. Think - Lord of the Flies with zombies killing kids and no (human) kids killing kids. Think - Zombieland but funnier. Think - This is Not a Test without the angst of a suicidal teenager. Makes sense?

The Review: Well, shit. I think I’ve touched my last KFC original recipe fried chicken. Scrap that. I think I've touched my last piece of chicken EVER. Sean combined humor and gore in a way that you'd realize you're not supposed to be laughing at the sad circumstances in which people - both young and old - were dying in the most bloodied, spectacular way. But hey, I've never been one for normal reactions anyway.

There is a subtle brilliance in Nick's wry, more often, sarcastic voice. It was full of mockery and potshots against the society as a whole. If I were an intelligent reviewer or a much deeper reader, I’m sure I can connect the bee hive mentality of the zombies to those of the teens roaming the caf, quad and hallways of their education establishment. But because I’m not, I think I’m gonna go with what I know here and just give you some highlights (in bullet form, no less) why this book DID NOT SUCK.

* Nick/Nero. Socially awkward, quiet but bad-ass. An unassuming hero who only ever wanted what other sixteen year-old boy would: to finally man-up and speak to a girl he’s been jonesing with for a while. To not have to work the night shift at a chicken slaughter house so they won’t get evicted…or to not have to worry about his little sister who prefers the company of a hand-held game and to have her speak normally. Lastly, for The Dude to finally act like The Dad.

* There is something unequivocally disturbing intelligent about Nick’s outlook on things. I could literally fill this review up with musings and observations that are most often funny, quirky and true.

* The build-up to the gore-fest was genius. You’ll more than likely get bored with the first fifty pages of the book because you’d think nothing is happening. But I digress; all the events that lead up to the contagion and its source is like background noise as you read through Nick’s banal, boring, and cumbersome life. Chances are, you'd probably ignore the signs if you're not paying attention.

* Violence, blood, gore, brain matter, exposed intestines, creative ways of killing zombies, seemingly hormonal zombies (see Swann) and even more hormonal boys (humans).

* The Rock. Yes, the wrestler…”If you smell-el-el-el-elllll what The Rock is cooking…” appearing as the inner voice of reason and kick-assery in Nero’s head. Just imagine how freaking awesome this book would be in FILM. And seriously? As I read through The Rock’s parts, I was imagining the flare of his nose and the waggles of his brows while he more or less called on every single one of Nero’s bullshit.

*The opening went like this:

The neighborhood was trashed, funeral pyres in the distance burning against a raw pink sky. Half the street was in rubble, from Thompkins all the way to Main. The high school was gone.

Sounds like a nice set-up for a post-apocalyptic party, eh? Well, it is and it isn’t.

Verdict: Reminiscent of Shaun of the Dead, the Infects is fun as it is gory, funny as it is thought provoking. If you’re a fan of zombies in literature, this offers just enough change (humor) in the long line of books with similar subject matter. It was like watching a dark comedy with zombies in the co-starring role.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infects.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

08/20 page 33
9.0% "Oh Nick. You are so painfully awkward. <3"
08/21 page 99
26.0% "I'm dying from this book's UZT. Unresolved Zombie Tension. Bring on the gore! We want gore! We want gore!"
08/22 page 181
47.0% ""Jack Oh bit off three fingers. They say it tastes just like chicken tastes to other chickens who prefer ham." this book is all kinds of kick ass." 1 comment
04/16 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review Joy. This one looks good!

CHECK - This is me adding another book to be tbr pile! GGGRRRRRR!


Joy (joyous reads) Lisa wrote: "Great review Joy. This one looks good!

CHECK - This is me adding another book to be tbr pile! GGGRRRRRR!"


Lisa 10

Joy 5

You're still winning.


message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Joy (joyous reads) wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Great review Joy. This one looks good!

CHECK - This is me adding another book to be tbr pile! GGGRRRRRR!"

Lisa 10

Joy 5

LMAO!

You're still winning."



Wendy Darling Whoa! 5 stars?! I am definitely bumping this up the pile.


Joy (joyous reads) Wendy Darling wrote: "Whoa! 5 stars?! I am definitely bumping this up the pile."

I hope you'll like it! :) The ratings doesn't give this book justice. But hey, maybe I'm just crazy. Lol.


Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Joy (joyous reads) wrote: "Wendy Darling wrote: "Whoa! 5 stars?! I am definitely bumping this up the pile."

I hope you'll like it! :) The ratings doesn't give this book justice. But hey, maybe I'm just crazy. Lol."


Well, then I'm crazy too ;-) This went straight to my list of favorites. Loved it. Great review.


Joy (joyous reads) Cat Russell wrote: "Joy (joyous reads) wrote: "Wendy Darling wrote: "Whoa! 5 stars?! I am definitely bumping this up the pile."

I hope you'll like it! :) The ratings doesn't give this book justice. But hey, maybe I'm..."


Oh thank God, I'm not the only one. ;)


message 8: by Sunshiny (new)

Sunshiny Me great review, joy. tell me this is 1st pov.


Joy (joyous reads) Sunshiny wrote: "great review, joy. tell me this is 1st pov."

Lmao!! Why am I not surprised by your question? Yanno, I can't remember? Let me find my copy and will let you know. :)


Carla A Hmmm I started my review almost the same way... though I am hard pressed to give such an in depth and perfect review.


back to top