Taylor Yardley's Reviews > The Martian Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

May 08, 12

Never in my life did I expect to use "science fiction" and "breathtaking" in the same sentence to describe ANYTHING, much less a book. This was probably the only sci-fi novel I have read by choice, and if you asked me to categorize it, I would not group it in that genre. I have read several stories by Ray Bradbury, and I think that his prose is absolutely beautiful. This book is an excellent example of how aliens and spaceships don't need to be nerdy. Not all laser guns need to go "pew pew" and there doesn't need to be some intergalactic peace treaty woven into each and every plot and subplot. Now, it has been several years since I read The Martian Chronicles, and maybe there was a bit of alien politics involved, but clearly it made no impact on my opinion of the stories.

This is one of those books that I really feel something for when I think back on it. I read it when I was a teenager and then again in my 20s. Nothing was lost in those years. As some other reviewers have mentioned, to this day the phrase "there will come soft rains" immediately triggers something in me that is both terrifying and yet nostalgic at the same time.

This story and narrative is timeless. Many books written decades ago are difficult to relate to and their age clearly shows. This is not the case with The Martian Chronicles. Sure, there are technology references that make it clear how much older the story is, but Bradbury's writing doesn't remind me every step of the way that this book was birthed alongside my parents.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian Chronicles.