Zi's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

U 50x66
May 08, 2012

Read in May, 2012

This is the best horror fiction I have ever read. It is written by Charlie Higson. There are two elements which are survival and stress in the novel really attract me. These two elements are kind of related. First of all, the story basically tells us about a story happens in London, some kids are trying to survive under the hunting of zombies-like adults(all the adults turns into zombies eating kids).
The first element survival is obvious in the novel. These kids are in danger all the time. They don’t know where they could stay in safe, and also they don’t know when the zombies would attack them. At the same time, they have to deal with the problem s like food shortage, the distrust in the group and deal friends passing by. “ If Jester’s right, and it’s safe in the centre, if we can make camp at the palace and get strong, then we can prepare.”(The Enemy, Chapter 10,Page 69) This quotation is from the a very important turning point of the story. The main group Waitrose decides to transfer their base to the centre, because they are persuaded by Jester a boy from the centre Buckingham palace to come to the safer place. This is their strategy of survival. How they mentally struggle and what happened on the road of transfer are the most wonderful plots in the novel. This element is my most favorite, because I usually imagine I am the one trapped by the great horror of zombies, and I could feel how nervous these characters are when they in troubles. Overall, survival is very attracting me.
The second element is stress. This is easy to understand. The main characters are only kids, but they have to face so much tragedies. In my opinion, the source of stress is losing the sense of safety. “ We have made this place safe. We are learning all the time. We have survived this far. Why shouldn’t we carry on? I been on the roof nearly all day, and I can tell you, I seen it out there, it’s not safe, yeah? Not safe at all.... ”( The Enemy , Chapter 7, Page 45). From this quotation we can see they realize there is no safe place they can stay forever.
This book is really interesting and exciting. This the first book of the horror series The Dead. I think I would start to read other two books soon. I’ll definitely be back for deliciously depraved thirds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.