Gillian's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

F_50x66
May 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

I read this book for a one-time attendance at a book club. It was surprisingly good. He tells good stories in a funny and self deprecating way. I saw The Outsiders but didn't remember it vividly, I never watched The West Wing. I remembered hearing about some sort of "sex" scandal involving him but couldn't recall any details (he doesn't give many in this book either). So, I didn't really have any expectations about what this book might be about / include. He starts at the beginning with his childhood - which was not the childhood I would've tagged him with. He is my exact age, and his experience of middle and high school mirrored mine, which was nice to read. I often think that all that crazy stuff only happened at my high school. :-) He describes his chutzpah at gaining entry into the world of Hollywood and the hard work that ensued. He alludes to a drinking problem, but finishes with the idea that his best work was / is his family (sons). It was a quick and pleasant read. If he gets a part in a show or movie, I'll be more likely to make an effort to see it - as a result.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.