Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews's Reviews > Redemption

Redemption by Veronique Launier

May 08, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

This is an ARC and will be published in September 2012.

Redemption combines Native American and French Canadian cultures in a paranormal way. Guillaume (no idea how to pronounce this name) is a gargoyle, but not in the sense that we know gargoyles. Apparently hundreds of years ago a tradition began where witches “made” gargoyles to protect them. In exchange for their protection, the witches kept the gargoyles alive by providing them with an “essence”.

Guillaume and his “dad” and two “brothers” were awakened by Odd. Her real name is Aude, pronounced Ode. Guillaume follows her to get to know her and find out how she awakened him. They become close friends and through a Native American water drumming class are able to find a Shaman who is able to answer lots of their questions.

There are some great twists and turns in this book. I’m not sure if it’s a stand alone or the first in a trilogy. The book ended in a way that left it open for either one. I liked how Odd accepted her role in the book with an amazing amount of grace. It was like all her questions about herself were finally answered. She almost seemed relieved. Once she was able to let go of herself, she really opened up to her heritage. I liked Guillaume, but would have liked to learn more about him as a person/gargoyle throughout history instead of one instance they kept focusing on, but if it’s a trilogy maybe we’ll get more of him.

Some technical criticism: I know this is an ARC, but it didn’t say uncorrected proof. I found tons of grammatical errors in this book. At one point, Kateri’s name is spelled wrong. “Alright” is not academically accepted and it is used in this book hundreds of times. The uses of “I” vs “me” need to be evaluated throughout the book as well. There were several times they were used incorrectly. I think with a couple of good grammar edits, the book will be much better. Because I am a self proclaimed grammar witch, grammatical mistakes jump out at me and I have a hard time enjoying the story.

I would recommend this book to students who enjoy paranormal and Native American history. It took several chapters to connect with the characters, so I will have to encourage students to keep reading through that because the book gets much better midway through and until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption.